We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
JazzyV1822
Level Contributor
96 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Carnival Imagination Cruise

Hi, There

I am booked on Carnival's Imagination Cruise and wasnt quite clear on how long I will be at each port.

It states:

Key West, FL 7:30 AM 1:30 PM

Cozumel, Mexico 1:30 PM 10:00 PM

Is that only 6 hours in Key West or over night at Key west and leave the next day at 1:30?

Ive only cruised once before when I was in college so can anyone help with any tips? Should I book excursions for Key West? For Cozumel? Should I book them through Carnival or does anyone know any cheaper alternatives (such as outside vendors)? What excursions, if any, are cool to book? I was thinking beginners scuba diving in Cozumel. Has anyone ever tried that?

Any help and itinerary suggestions would be appreciated

Jennifer

JazzyV1822
Level Contributor
96 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carnival Imagination Cruise

Is it better to do beginners scuba diving in Miami (since Ill be there for 3 days) and do a different excursion in Cozumel? Maybe something more unique to Cozumel/Mexico???

Suggestions on excursions and itinerary please

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,498 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carnival Imagination Cruise

The big cruise ships don't overenight in Key West so you have six, too short, hours. Most of the morning water-related excursions leave 9:30 and get back about 1:00 so you would cut it too close. You could book a short jet-ski ride or, better, a parasail. Look at Fury.

And it's doubful you'll have time to scuba in Key West

Pjk

Edited: 17 May 2013, 15:23
Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
16,963 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carnival Imagination Cruise

"Ive only cruised once before when I was in college so can anyone help with any tips?"

Cruise Critic is your best resource. Start here: boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php…

You might also get involved with the "roll call" for your particular cruise.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,498 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carnival Imagination Cruise

There are people who choose to stay on the boat rather than spend what would more likely be 5 hours in Key West. But in 5 hours you could avoid the obvious and wander over to the Key West Bight and at least look at the several boats there and have lunch at, say, the Schooner Wharf bar - a Key West Sunset ale and 1/2 lb of Key West pinks or a dozen oysters or a fish sandwich. Then look at the few small shops along Lazy Way Lane behind the bar. Then head back to the boat.

Pjk

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
15,336 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carnival Imagination Cruise

Cozumel has a jeep tour of the island with a short snorkeling tour at the end that snorkels near shore and includes a light lunch. They also have snorkel tours that go out to the reef and include lunch afterwards. Another cool thing offered is called Salsa Salsa Margatitta and its at one of the hotels. You spend a couple of hours making homemade margarittas, homemade salsa and learing to salsa dance. A friend of mine did that one and said she had a great time. I would make sure about their cancellation policy before prebooking anything on the water just in case of bad weather or if you should change your mind and want to do something else.

I would check the Cozumel forum for info on booking tour operators outside of the cruise ship. You have to be careful who you book with and make sure they are recommended and legitimate. I would be cautious about doing diving lessons anywhere in Mexico. I have heard their equipment is sometimes outdated and they dont have the same rules and regulations as the US as far as code standards for equipment.

Rochester Hills...
Level Contributor
457 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carnival Imagination Cruise

That is exactly how my wife and I first discovered KW...during the way too short stay on the Imagination! We just rented some bike and explored a bit...hit a couple of bars and saw the beach. Sparked something in us because we have now turned KW into an annual 4 day weekend!

7. Re: Carnival Imagination Cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2014, 06:17