We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Already planning second trip now which month?

Seguin, Texas
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Already planning second trip now which month?

Ok so my hubby and I just got back from Key West 2 weeks ago and I guess you can say we've found our new favorite place on earth! Our five year wedding anniversary is in October (like we need a real REASON to go) and we wanna come back this fall. Question: is October or November better? I know, I'm sure it's awesome all year long but just thought I'd ask!

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
2,356 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Already planning second trip now which month?

If you come in October, make sure its EARLY October as the last 2 weeks include the Goombay and Fantasy Fest. You will never find a room right now during FF anyway, but my suggestion would be early to mid October of after Halloween. Plus Hurricane season ends on Nov 1.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
14,150 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Already planning second trip now which month?

FLboy offers some excellent advice, Im leaning toward early Nov. just after the crowds from Fantasy Fest have cleared out...

Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
3,273 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Already planning second trip now which month?

The Parrot Heads will be in the first week of November for the Parrot Head Convention, Meeting of the Minds. Lots of Trop Rock music for the week. Followed by the super power boat races the following week. Accommodations in Old Town can be difficult during some of the events held here throughout the year.

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
10,704 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Already planning second trip now which month?

The weather in November is nicer then October. Less rain, and hurricane season is over. I would go mid November.

Portsmouth, New...
Level Contributor
32 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Already planning second trip now which month?

I vote for November just because that is when our next trip is! We went last November too and the weather was perfect, most places still had a good crowd, and we did not have to wait anywhere.

Portsmouth, New...
Level Contributor
32 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Already planning second trip now which month?

I vote for November just because that is when our next trip is! We went last November too and the weather was perfect, most places still had a good crowd, and we did not have to wait anywhere.

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
23 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Already planning second trip now which month?

Given the two choices I would choose November. That is though only because what I am into. Unless we are talking the beginning of October. The beginning of October will be very slow coming out of a slow couple of months. You will 1) have no line no wait anywhere you go and small tours. 2) Business welcoming you with open arms as they will be very happy to see you. After that we get geared back into season with three back to back events. End of October is Fantasy Fest. That festival is explained all over this forum so I will just say it is loud, crowded and can sometimes make NOLA look tame. The first week of Nov is Meeting of the Minds. One of my favorite times of year. As it is when a lot of my friends come down to visit. A lot of trop rock shows going on and you never know who may show up on any given stage. Great music. That is followed by the Powerboat Races. Another fun event. In addition to watching the races if you are in town at the right time you get to see them parade down Duval as they come into town. Then later in the week Duval is shut down as they bring all the boats out on the street and it is basically a big street party.

chicago
Level Contributor
62 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Already planning second trip now which month?

Just got back 2 weeks ago- we already booked air and room for last week of Sept.!

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,808 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Already planning second trip now which month?

FWIW when I used to go in November I always needed a wet suit to snorkel. Even with a wet suit, though, I could not stay in the water as long as I could going earlier in the year. I've never tried in October. But you could partake of any end of hurricane season parties towards the end of November.

Pjk

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Already planning second trip now which month?

It's all good, so you can't really make a mistake here, but a few things to consider:

October is less crowded and warmer ( maybe even hot). It's still hurricane season and some restaurants are closed until it gets close to Fantasy Fest, which you can't get to if you don't already have a reservation, pretty much. Prices are generally lower than normal with lots of good specials at places that are open.

November has a lot of interesting events, some of which have minimum night stays. Weather is generally great, but can rain more than you'd think. Everything is open and specials are still to be had at some great spots in town.

I think you'll get better musicians booked in November, but that's only counting who I like.

As I said, all good, with the edge to Nov..