We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dry Tortugas Trip Report

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,941 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Dry Tortugas Trip Report

Just wanted to share a few things about my recent trip out to the Dry Tortugas on the Yankee Freedom 3.

This was probably my 6th trip out to Ft. Jefferson, and I knew I wanted to spend more time there, since the 1/2 day seaplane trip I took 2 years ago didn't give me nearly enough water time.

The boat boards at the terminal where the Key West Express docks.

The new boat is very big and there were plenty of places to sit, though there seemed to be a rush to grab seats upstairs. Everyone boarded quickly, so we got to leave about 10 minutes early, at 7:50 AM. I grabbed a window seat inside and had the light breakfast they served once under way.

The big boat doesn't exactly fly at top speed, so the trip takes about 2 1/2 hours, so there's plenty of time to walk about and many people were hanging out on the front end of the boat, watching for birds or turtles.

We arrived at Ft. Jefferson just before the seaplane landed and were given the option to wait around for a while for the tours of the fort at 10:45 or to head out straight to the water for snorkeling. It was warm and there was nobody in the water, so I headed over to the main beach for some snorkeling.

Since it was May there were huge schools of juvenile fish of all kinds everywhere. I passed through many of them on the way out to the coral heads, which are off the far edge of the fort, almost to the right when standing at the beach. I couldn't find any coral heads off to the left, where I thought they were!

I also snorkeled out by the pilings and while entering the water is a bit tricky, as it's very rocky, there were plenty of fish there, including huge tarpon that would pass by me in the deeper waters that drop off to over 25 feet deep.

…photobucket.com/albums/w168/Orion_240/Trave…

It's always a little scary when a fish bigger than you passes right by you! I also saw some big sting rays on the bottom, with tons of snapper and a few grouper.

They serve a buffet lunch on the boat from 11-1, so at about 12 I went aboard for some food. Oh, and they have several freshwater showers in the stern of the boat, with warm water. I made a huge sandwich but since I didn't want to eat aboard a rocking boat I had lunch on land, under a tree at a picnic table near the smoking area. This was a mistake, not because of any stray smoke, but because I think it was there that I got several bug bites! We've heard how there aren't supposed to be mosquitoes in the Dry Tortugas? Myth busted! They are out there! Next time I'll stay away from the shaded area and eat on the boat or on the sand by the water.

There were lots of "birders" on this trip, and they spent the time running around with their cameras and binoculars on tripods in search of as many species as possible! The land bridge to Bush Key has reformed, though you aren't allowed to walk over there during breeding season.

I toured the fort after a final dive and really wish they would have offered a later tour, since the fort has really had a lot of work done since my first visit in 2000. Lots of signs telling you about the fort though, so you can do a self-guided tour.

We left on time and for the ride back they showed a movie ("A Big Year" a film about birding) on the flat screen TVs inside the main cabin of the boat. We got back and docked at 5:20 pm.

I ended up getting way to much sun on my back (always use a rash guard!) and was sore for the rest of the trip. But I saw more fish than anywhere else, including schools of juvenile barracuda, squid, tarpon, and for the first time I saw a large nurse shark swimming by. I swam after it, cursing the fact that I'd shut down my smart phone that wasn't working too well inside its waterproof case! It's very rare to see nurse sharks swimming around, as they usually are found just lying down on the bottom, like this one I saw the day before out at Rock Key.

So yes, this trip did take a lot of time, from waking up at 6:30 AM to getting back at about 5:30 PM, but there was still plenty of daylight left in May but if snorkeling is on your list of things to do in Key West you really should consider making the trip out to the DTs!

Mentioned in this post
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Level Contributor
142 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dry Tortugas Trip Report

Thank you for writing this report. It sounds like you had a great time. Would you still recommend this trip for people that do not snorkel, or would there be not enough to do all day?

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
37,196 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dry Tortugas Trip Report

This has great potential for a Sticky.

Pjk

Topsail Island, NC
Level Contributor
977 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dry Tortugas Trip Report

What a great trip report! Thanks for sharing.

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
11,468 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dry Tortugas Trip Report

Thanks for sharing this. When conditions are good, this is a great trip!

Level Contributor
355 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dry Tortugas Trip Report

Great report and pics, thank you for sharing. Can't wait to get back out there next month.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,941 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dry Tortugas Trip Report

I would recommend this trip for folks who don't snorkel, but would probably encourage them to go during a cooler month. Maybe before early April. The heat of the sun out there can be pretty brutal, and I found myself standing or walking under any shade I could find.

And the small beach there is shallow enough for wading.

Some people seemed to be content spending most of the time on the boat, as it has plenty of food, the bar opens in the afternoon, and the upper deck had lots of sunbathers too. They don't have binoculars for rent, so maybe try to bring some along.

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,546 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dry Tortugas Trip Report

This sounds great! We had planned a trip earlier this year, but the weather wouldn't cooperate with our schedule! Thanks for all the great info. Going to go for sure on our next trip!

Lynchburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
545 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dry Tortugas Trip Report

Thanks for sharing!! We've taken the trip to Ft. Jefferson twice now. The last time, I remembered the rash guard, but forgot to put sunscreen on the backs of my legs before snorkelling... yeah, I was uncomfortable for the rest of our KW stay, and couldn't use the hot tub either. <sigh>

new york
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dry Tortugas Trip Report

Thank you so much for this review. Love hearing about Dry Tortugas. Hope to make it out there on one of our visits! Any more pictures?

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dry Tortugas Trip Report

Nice report... I went out by boat years ago probably in like 2001 and remember what a long tiring day it is. We did the seaplane in 2012 which was an amazing experience. Unfortunately, we didn't have the best snorkel conditions. Anyway, it looks like you had a great time! Thanks for sharing!