We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dmillbury...and other hotel employees... is this true? LOL

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,273 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
dmillbury...and other hotel employees... is this true? LOL

You say you work at a hotel... I just read this on an article on Yahoo... Doubt there is any truth to it...

…yahoo.com/ideas/10-hotel-secrets-from-behin…

Number 10 pasted below is what I am interested in... ha ha ha..

THERE’S ONE SUREFIRE WAY TO GET AN UPGRADE.

Here is one of the top lies that come out of a front desk agent’s mouth: “All the rooms are basically the same, sir.”

Bull. There is always a corner room, a room with a bigger flat screen, a room that because of the building’s layout has a larger bath with two sinks, a room that fits two roll-aways with ease, a room that, though listed as standard, actually has a partial view of the Hudson River. There is always a better room, and when I feel that $20 you slipped me burning in my pocket, I will find it for you. And if there is nothing to be done room-wise, I have a slew of other options: late checkout, free movies, free minibar, room service amenities and more. I will do whatever it takes to deserve the tip and then a little bit more in the hope that you’ll hit me again.

Some people feel nervous about this move. Please don’t. We are authorized to upgrade for special occasions. The special occasion occurring now is that I have a solid $20. That’s special enough for me!

Washington
Level Contributor
524 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dmillbury...and other hotel employees... is this true? LOL

Use this in Vegas all the time. Have gotten upgraded to a suite lots of times or a room facing the strip on a higher floor. Never used anywhere else.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
164 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dmillbury...and other hotel employees... is this true? LOL

I read the book. It was an excellent read, and I have put its advice to good use several times.

Frozen North
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dmillbury...and other hotel employees... is this true? LOL

Not true at all hotels, We do have rooms that are larger or are a corner and they are already listed as such:

Oceanfront Corner, Oceanfront Luxury King, Harborview corner etc at our hotel. So if you want one it's easy to distinguish them on our website and if you call. They of course cost more money and believe it or not they go the quickest, booking a lesser view where I work rarely gets you an upgrade at a higher price, because most of those rooms have sold already to people who are willing to pay for them. And a special occasion upgrade where I work only happens usually if we know ahead of time and not when you arrive, and folks we do keep profiles don't, tell us it's your anniversary in Jan and then book next year and say it's in May, because we do know what you said the last time. Giving me a tip doesn't really work, I make more money in a bonus from my employer for keeping the hotels ADR up than I would ever make in tips. I wlll say that when I used to hostess in the dining room it would work there, but not so much at the front desk. My advice is go ahead and ask, but don't be disappointed or mean to the clerk when they say no, be prepared to be turned down, because it's doesn't always work. And I will be honest with you, we do get sick of it, and somedays working with the public isn't all that easy and you may be the last straw and get the worst room if you give the front desk clerk a hard time. I

f I want a better room I pay for it when I travel and leave the poor desk clerk alone.

Disclaimer I have only told you how it works where I work, I don't speak for any other hotel or region. I do know that in some areas like Vegas it is a common practice.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,273 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dmillbury...and other hotel employees... is this true? LOL

Yeah... we always pay for the room we want too.. that is why I said I doubt this is true at all. We like to know when we arrive at the hotel we are getting the view we want so its worth the money for us. :) Thanks for responding.. I just thought this was a fun article.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,099 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: dmillbury...and other hotel employees... is this true? LOL

KW is a small town, and in season every room goes at a high price.

The place this would work, is in areas with a huge number or rooms, many of which have no sea views etc. in towns and Cities like Vegas and Orlando where you have more empty rooms in each hotel on a given day.

Frozen North
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: dmillbury...and other hotel employees... is this true? LOL

I also wanted to say that we do try and make everyone's visit as nice as possible and if it is in our power, etc. we would do all that we could for you. We do want to make everyone happy, but it's not always possible to upgrade etc.

South Jersey
Level Contributor
3,137 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: dmillbury...and other hotel employees... is this true? LOL

It only works with any degree of consistency in Los Vegas. You can get preferred status at several hotel chains via a credit card.

Edited: 09 June 2013, 13:22
8. Re: dmillbury...and other hotel employees... is this true? LOL

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2014, 05:16