We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What should I make sure to do during my week?

Monroe, NY
Level Contributor
31 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
What should I make sure to do during my week?

I want to make sure we take full advantage of our one prescious vacation week. Not used to sitting and chilling at pool or bar - may need to re=learn this skill. Any suggestions? We are staying near Southernmost Point. Note - we are not young enough to want water sports, nor old enough to want a 8pm bedtime... :) Any help much appreciated!!

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,330 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What should I make sure to do during my week?

Assuming you like or want to try ceviche, this was a highlight of my last trip in May ---> tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g34345-d48…

Pjk

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What should I make sure to do during my week?

If it is your first trip then there is alot to do and explore! I would start by taking a Trolley Tour of the island. It will enable you to get your bearings and teach you alot of history too. http://www.trolleytours.com/key-west/

I would suggest checking these things out:

Hemmingways Home: http://www.hemingwayhome.com/

Truman's Little Whitehouse: http://www.trumanlittlewhitehouse.com/

(I loved this tour! In a beautiful area of the island too.)

Review from 2009 tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g34345-d1303…

Walk around the waterfront and enjoy some of the happy hours at Alonzo's, Boat House, Conch Republic.. etc.. Make sure you try the calamari at Conch Republic.

Check out Schooner Wharf Bar..

Have a meal at Blue Heaven....Better yet, eat at Seven Fish

Go to the Sunset Pier Bar at Ocean Key.. enjoy the view and the amazing fish tacos!

Try Garbo's Grill... Amazing!

Get out on the water!!! If you do not want to do water sports then take a day sail or sunset sail...

Just try not to plan too much.. walk around and discover the island and the fun that is all around...

Monroe, NY
Level Contributor
31 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What should I make sure to do during my week?

I absolutely love ceviche - I will definately go here - thank you! Have you tried the beer / chocolate pairing at Lush?

Monroe, NY
Level Contributor
31 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What should I make sure to do during my week?

Sunryz - this list is soo helpful! A few of these items were already on my wish list (now they made their way to my to do list!). I was thinking about one of the schooner sails (and maybe checking off one or so of the items in the Key West Bucket List book)! Is the pub crawl worth it - or should we just roam around and go off Duval on our own? Ghost tours fun?

We were there a year ago for a day or two - really just long enough to find Sloppy Joes... I want to explore the island and get the real feel. Truman's and Hemmingway's are on the list - I guess I should include the lighthouse? Are the beaches nice by Southernmost Point?

Thanks again - I appreciate any help!! Counting down the days.

Elkton, Maryland
Level Contributor
218 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What should I make sure to do during my week?

I suggest renting bikes for the week. It's a great way to explore the island, it's an excellent daily activity, and it's good transportation (really opens up easy access to lot of restaurants, bars, and attractions).

Monroe, NY
Level Contributor
31 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What should I make sure to do during my week?

That's a really good idea. Especially since we won't have a car. I will check that out-perfect idea!

Dubuque, Iowa
Level Contributor
110 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What should I make sure to do during my week?

u gotta stop at the smoking tuna saloon. it's off the beaten path and it's a very nice place. Not sure if Scott Kirby is there, but if he is don't miss out on seeing him play...

Sloppy Joes-

Old town

Museums and more....

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,330 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What should I make sure to do during my week?

Another, lesser known, Hemingway related sight is the Casa Antigua, well worth the $2.00 admission.

lonelyplanet.com/usa/…casa-antigua

Pjk

Reading...
Level Contributor
1,383 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What should I make sure to do during my week?

Hey Donna,

Checkout a sunset at Mallory Square , then check out the sunset at The Top ( located on the roof of the La concha Hotel

Take in a Ghost Tour, a walking tour, a bike tour

Find the Chart Room bar

Do a pregressive happy hour down at the bight

make up your own pub crawl

Get out on the water , do a sunset cruise (so pretty)

Hit up some wine bars (Vino's and Cork and Stoogie and Grand Vin are cool places)

Venture into the Smallest Bar hang out and meet some great peeps

There are so many great restaraunts from upscale (pisces) to a food cart who serves IMO five star food , and is my fave place to eat while in KW (garbo's grill)

The island is rich with history , take a tour of the Hemingway home , the lighthouse, but my fave way to learn about the island is to take one of the trolley tours . the offer up a great history lesson, point out great points of interest and must do's, provide great photo opts and give you the layout of the island

Stroll Duval and take in some of the craziness , then get off Duval and enjoy the serenity of the back streets, check out the architecture of the homes (amazing)

Stroll into Margaritaville , Hogs Breath , Sloppy Joe's simply because they are KW icons.

Research Capt Tony's saloon , then make your way in , I guarantee you will be amazed by this place , grave hanging tree, Jimmy Buffet's humble beginnings and the legendary Capt Tony!!

Rent an electric car , or bikes and cruise this beautiful tiny island.

Now after typing this list my best piece of advice is to just wake up and let Key west take ya where it wants to , Key West seems to find a way to do this!!!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1 post
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What should I make sure to do during my week?

Key Largo Bicycle Tours is a great place to rent bikes and they also do tours. Such great personal service .