We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating crab with a mallet??

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
136 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Eating crab with a mallet??

Are there any spots in KW where you can eat crab how they are supposed to be eaten, by making a giant mess, smacking the crap out of them with a wooden hammer?

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,553 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating crab with a mallet??

The most popular local crab is Stone Crab, not in season until Oct. Please don't bash it with a mallet - you'll send the meat everywhere!!! Lightly crack it with the handle of a butter knife - works every time. Guess you're thinking of cold water crab? I don't know where in KW, know I just read of somewhere - otherwise check Whale Harbor in Islamorada.

Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
136 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating crab with a mallet??

Right on, thanks. I knew stone crabs were out of season, bummed. Guess I'll just have to go back again.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
13,533 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating crab with a mallet??

You might be thinking of Blue crab which is not really a Key West thing. We have a place here called Ozzies Crab Shack (not located anywhere near the keys) that spreads out newspaper on your table and dumps a bucket of crab on it, gives you a mallet and crab cracker pliers and you make a huge mess. Its also a Maryland thing. You might also check out Joes Crab in Miami, they may have something like that.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,553 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating crab with a mallet??

Joe's in Miami is more of a higher end dining type place. $68 for King crab - grilled. Not a mallet place :)

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
13,533 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating crab with a mallet??

I knew that Joes was expensive $$$ but thought they might still do the old style crab thing. There used to be something like that in Orlando too. Not my thing either, I would take the Stone crab any day over the other types of crab!

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
2,088 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating crab with a mallet??

There's a great place in Fort Lauderdale called The Rustic Inn where they give you a bib, a mallet and claw crackers and just let you go to it. That place rocks!

7. Re: Eating crab with a mallet??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2014, 06:20