We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused about beaches

ny
Level Contributor
755 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
Confused about beaches

My husband and I have to be in Miami for a couple of nights and thought we would take a trip to Key West for 3 additional nights. We both love the beach, but as I am reading through this forum I am learning that it's not really a beach destination. I am wondering what brings people to Key West, if not the beach. If you can shed some light on this topic for me I would appreciate it, thanks!

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
14,901 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confused about beaches

The water is fantastic, very Carribean looking, great snorkeling, fishing and diving. Key West has a lot to offer in one small place. Its can be very touristy at first glance. You have to look beyond the T-shirt shops altho even that is part of the experience. There are beaches, they are just not miles of beach to walk on. Some hotels are not located where its possible to have a beach and some have man made beaches. Its a totally different atmosphere than Miami. You might also consider doing 2 nights Key West and one night somewhere in the upper keys such as Marathon or Islamorada as they are a little different than KW. Also Bahia Honda one of the best beaches in the keys is located just south of the 7-Mile bridge, not far from Marathon.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,997 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Confused about beaches

A small beach is good enough for me. I can sit and read a book and cool off by jumping into the ocean. After that, for such a small place, Key West has more great breakfast places, dinner places, types of food, especially seafood and shell fish, drinks, live music, and all sorts of water-related trips, from day sails, sunset sails, moonlight sails, snorkelinf, kayaking, paddle-boarding.

Works for me.

Pjk

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
10,132 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Confused about beaches

People come for water based activities like fishing, kayaking, jet ski tours and snorkeling. People also come to see the Historic District of Old Town full of beautiful wooden homes, gingerbread and lush foliage.

Many people also come to party. There is a big bar scene with lots of venues all walking distance to each other that range from laid back to live music, big rowdy bars and wine bars, straight and gay bars and everything in between. There is even a clothing optional bar!

Add in tons of great restaurants of all prices and types, lot of shopping ranging from cheap tee shirts to fine art galleries, great biking and walking tours, several historic sites and an easy going local population and you can see there is not much time left for beaches! Key West does have a few beaches that are fine for an afternoon getting your feet in the sand or water, but if you are looking for spectacular Carribean type beaches, you need to look elsewhere.

Hershey...
Level Contributor
223 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Confused about beaches

Think of a beach resort town minus the boardwalk and the kids. In other words just a very laid back atmosphere where there are tons of places to bar hop, stores (expensive and not) to shop in, all sorts of restaurants from expensive and chic to lets-have-a-bunch-of-mojitos and listen to the band for awhile. You can take a late night skinny dip in the pool and not many people are going to care. 'Cuz they just did it the night before or thinking about doing it too! ;-)

~Bob~

Dallas,Texas
Level Contributor
294 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Confused about beaches

Fort Zach is one of the coolest beaches I've been to. It has a remote feeling. You can actually enjoy the quiet, unlike so many of the more popular large beach locations.

The Frozen North...
Level Contributor
409 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Confused about beaches

I love the fort Zachary beach and the small beach at pier house. To me the key aspect of key west is the vibe. Live music, great food, much more chill than Miami. I would spend a day to experience Miami beach but stay in the keys every time. Unless you are looking for miles of soft sand, you will not be disappointed. The water is great and you will feel like you are in the islands.

Hershey...
Level Contributor
223 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Confused about beaches

Kwcpl, I think u nailed it right there!

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
53 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Confused about beaches

I recently spent some time on KW, and I loved,loved, loved it..!! I had plenty to do to fill the days with, rented a bike throughout my entire stay (which I am SO glad I did...!!) biked everywhere, loved the architecture, took lots of photos as I am a keen photographer. visited Hemingway House, went on boat trips,tried fishing, loved this island-vibe - spent time talking to the fabulous artists on Mallory Square during Sunset Celebration, enjoyed the Key Lime Festival, met lots of travelers and made some good friends at Harpoon Harry's, 2Cents and The Green Parrot:) Experienced some to-die-for seafood...! Went to the loveliest little theatre I have ever visited; The Red Barn Theatre, where I saw an outstanding performance. I also relaxed a few days at beautiful Ft.Zachary Beach:) Such a gorgeous & relaxed place! I also enjoyed South Bch and Higgs Bch. Saw the 4th of July fireworks from Higgs Bch., and met superfriendly people, locals as well as visitors. All in all Key West has the most friendliest people I have ever met, and they are so warm & welcome towards visitors - I looooved the vibe and the relaxing feeling you get just being there.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
620 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Confused about beaches

Many bars and restaurants sit on or near the water where you can watch the sunset. There is a nightly celebration of the sunset at Mallory Sq. with street preformers and such.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,596 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Confused about beaches

I live near several of the best beaches in the country- Malibu, Manhattan Beach, Santa Barbara. If I wanted to go to a beach I can get there in no time at all.

But for vacations I travel all day, at least 10 hours, to get down into the Keys!

Sure the water's warmer than the Pacific, but Key West is also one of the few destinations where I can rent a bike and ride to a really good restaurant, with great food, wine and atmosphere. Live music in dozens of different venues as well as all the museums, snorkel boats (we don't have those here) and the ability to light up a cigar in public.

Edited: 17 July 2013, 08:42