We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spring Break

Chicago
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Spring Break

It's too late now because I already booked but when is the MOST crowded time for Spring Breakers in KW. I really hope I am not in the prime time of that.

key west
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spring Break

The week that the FL universities are off is the busiest. Usually 2nd week of March or so. You can check either UF or FSUs website for exact. The only thing I notice is that the beaches are packed especially smathers. Otherwise, some of the bars like ricks and dirty harrys. Lots of kids on mopeds etc but not the end of the world for your vacation imo.

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spring Break

I was looking at this this morning. Looks like 4 of the major FL Universities are the first week where 6 of them are the second week.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,896 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spring Break

Google "College Spring Break dates 2014" and there are several websites that list who is out when.

It doesn't get like the old days of Daytona Beach or Cancun now. The Keys and Key West seem to get a lot of FL schools and OH schools.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Key West
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Spring Break

Peak 2014 will start March 1 and max peak is 8-22 March Come on down anyway with a little bump from the Key West schools out starting March 24 Easter is Sunday April 20 Catholic school bump

hope that helps

Chicago
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Spring Break

YIKES. I will be there March 8-15. Ughhhhhh. I tried to go the first week in March but my condo choice was taken. Thanks for the info all. When I get there I will figure out which places will not be overtaken by spring breakers. I am 42 and my husband is 49. We can party like the best of them but I would prefer to do that with an older crowd.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
121 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spring Break

Blue, I wonder why there are a lot of OH students. I find that odd.

To the OP, you'll have a great vacation. I wouldn't worry about the kiddies.

key west
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spring Break

Don't know about Ohio. I have seen a bunch of Michigan kids here earlier as they are on trimester but not overrun until Florida. For the most part. I stay off the bike path along smathers and don't drive over there around 5 when they're all getting off the beach. I've never noticed a problem with restaurants or shows howevet if that matters to you.

Mentioned in this post
Ohio
Ohio
United States
Florida
Florida
United States
Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spring Break

They don't bother us at all except when they are in the room next to us and up until 4am. Really? Keep the late night partying on Duval!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,915 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spring Break

you will see more sold out snorkel trips, especially on the cheaper, about $35, trips.

A good excuse to go for a smaller, better (and yes, about twice as much $) trip on the Floridays or the Dolphin Watch/ snorkel tour with Sunset Watersports.

Or to book now and get the discount with Catamaran Echo. Don't wait until the last minute during that period, especially if the forecast is for good weather.

As far as Duval, I noticed a big difference in the crowds at the lower end after about 10 pm. By midnight it's standing room only on the sidewalks and I think one year they even shut the street down and it also was full with college kids.

Mentioned in this post
Floridays
Floridays
505 Reviews
Key West, FL
Dolphin Watch
Dolphin Watch
777 Reviews
Key West, FL
Catamaran Echo
Catamaran Echo
1,078 Reviews
Key West, FL
Grand Rapids mi
Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
1,761 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spring Break

we go the first week of March every year, go Tuesday to Tuesday so we miss the spring breakers the first part, they come in heavy that Saturday. No real problem, just a little more crowded. the VERY funny thing to see is the "sorority gangs", young college girls glammed up at 2 in the afternoon, full make-up, heels, short dresses, and always in groups of at least 6, all talking on their cell phones while walking down Duval. scary scary sight !!!!