We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your top 5 "New and Great" recommendations

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, TX
Level Contributor
780 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Your top 5 "New and Great" recommendations

Hi all! My husband and I have been to Key West quite a few times over the years. My parents live there, so it's a great reason to keep returning to our favorite place! We have lots of favorite places we return to every year, ie drinks at SWB, breakfast at Harpoon Harry's, cubans from Sandy's. However,, somehow we've let 2 years slip by since our last visit, which was an awesome group trip in May 2011 for my husband's 50th Bday.

It seems there have been quite a few changes in that time, old places close, new ones open. So to that end, what are your top 5 suggestions for great newer places? Restaurants, bars, shops or attractions/activities we should check out?

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
33,801 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Your top 5 "New and Great" recommendations

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g34345-d4887…

Pjk

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Your top 5 "New and Great" recommendations

The new owners have done an amazing job at Square One, definitely check that out. I'm also a big fan of Solo, American Bistro on Greene St. As well as the food at Grunts on Caroline.

If you're a tequila fan, check out Agave Tequila Bar on Front St. and if you like beer, the World of Beer is super popular with a lot of people too.

People also seem to really like 2cents, although I haven't had much luck there. I might give it a whirl when I'm back in the Fall, we'll see.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,164 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Your top 5 "New and Great" recommendations

Seems like Smokin' Tuna opened just a little bit before your last trip. Did you make it there? Definitely our favorite. Made it into Agave once earlier this month and loved it. Sounds like KWSteps' experience at 2 Cents was similar to ours at Grunts. People love Grunts but we had bad service and only half of us liked the food. Paseo is one of our new favs for lunch. Pincher's Crab Shack recently opened but we haven't been there yet. Lupita's opened last November I think. Good Mexican food but up on Flagler & Bertha by Shanna Key.

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
780 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Your top 5 "New and Great" recommendations

Haven't been to Smokin' Tuna, although we went there a couple times when it was El Alamo. I've heard good things about it. I'm also really looking forward to trying fish tacos at Garbo's they look great on their website.

Thanks for the suggestions so far!!

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,164 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Your top 5 "New and Great" recommendations

Love, love, love the Tuna - and the bartenders!

Frozen North
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Your top 5 "New and Great" recommendations

What Cruisemom said!!!

Frozen North
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Your top 5 "New and Great" recommendations

Also Charlie Mac's next to The Parrot. Our first visit wasn't so hot, but they had just opened. We went back and a good meal the second time around. Also I don't know if the Boathouse was open in 2011, it is between the conch farm and the White Tarpon.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
33,801 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Your top 5 "New and Great" recommendations

http://www.glazeddonutskw.com/

Try one of their apple walnut fritters.

Pjk

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Your top 5 "New and Great" recommendations

Oh, the Tuna is a great spot! Love it!

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
2,088 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Your top 5 "New and Great" recommendations

Smokin Tuna' and Agave 308... Two of my favorite places in KW.