We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Key west trip

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
Level Contributor
99 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Key west trip

Hello,

I would like to visit The Florida Keys and had a few questions.

How is the weather during the winter months? I live in the Northeast and would not mind getting away if I could enjoy myself. I like the water so if I need to wait until another time I would as I don't want to be limited of my vacation.

I wanted to visit the keys on a cruise, but it looks like the boat only stays until 4 PM and I wanted to see the nightlife on Duval Street so instead I will do a land vacation in Key West.

As for visiting other areas of the Keys is that possible or am I better of sticking with Key West for now and come back to check out the others?

I have not been to Florida in 15 years so I may stay a few days in Miami and drive to key west, or come from another area. I may even consider the ferry from Fort Myers not sure yet though.

Also I'd be coming solo and want to enjoy myself. Is there anything I need to worry about in regards to crime? Are there a good amount for restaurants in the area?

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,554 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Key west trip

It's a very safe area - all of the Florida Keys. The biggest crime is DUI and marijuana busts.

The Florida Keys - from Key Largo to Key West, are full of good restaurants.

The winter months are usually fairly warm with a chilly cold front now and then. It can get into the 40's at night but usually stays around the low 70's at night. People do swim, they are usually visitors to the area. If it does get a cold front, most places don't have heat and it seems the first ones to start complaining are from up North. Haven't figured that one out (don't get me wrong, the locals are in leather coats and gloves when it gets below 70) Wind can be an issue in the winter months as well.

I totally think you should check out other areas of the Keys. And it is very possible. To me, KW is good for a day - then get me out of there. Others could stay for weeks. There's a lot to see and do up and down the island chain.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
33,803 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Key west trip

In Key West

... you can head out on a small sailboat or catamaran for a day of snorkeling ...

…shutterfly.com/media/…

…shutterfly.com/media/…

...or a guided eco tour arouund a mangrove island …shutterfly.com/media/…

You can watch the sunset from a variety of places...

…shutterfly.com/media/…

...and wander around here and there and everywhere to see flowers

…shutterfly.com/media/…

You can boogie to the Latin beat...

…shutterfly.com/media/…

You can enjoy good treats

…shutterfly.com/media/…

...beautifu water...

…shutterfly.com/media/…

More treats ...

…shutterfly.com/media/…

Wildlife

…shutterfly.com/media/…

And usually just some relaxing under a palm tree with a good book...

…shutterfly.com/media/…

Pjk

…shutterfly.com/media/…

conn
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Key west trip

I've been in December and March and both months are generally mid 60-low 80's. Do the drive it's great. I've been out in KW early morning and late at night and always felt safe, use common sense though.

Rochester Hills...
Level Contributor
430 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Key west trip

Do Key West this time and come back next time for the rest of the Keys. So much to do and see in KW can easily fill up 4-5 days!

Edited: 04 August 2013, 01:31
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,514 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Key west trip

outside of Key West there isn't the same degree of upscale dining choices that you'll get in Old Town. Many places will tend to seem the same, with what is basically the same menu. Nothing wrong with that, but it's just pretty different from KW, with it's many varied choices for dining.

If you have the time I'd suggest taking the drive down from Miami and checking it out for yourself.

Some people enjoy the laid-back atmosphere of the Keys while others prefer a central Old Town location.

6. Re: Key west trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2014, 05:18