We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thoughts on this Place?

Chandler, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
19 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Thoughts on this Place?

We're in the early stages of planning a trip in 2014, and we came across this place on airbnb.com. It's a new listing so obviously no reports on the place, but it looks like a nice spot with kid themed rooms. We were wondering if any of the locals on the board had any inisight on the place. We're actively searching other options as well. Thanks in advance!

https://m.airbnb.com/listings/1479141

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
2,239 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thoughts on this Place?

Looks sketchy to me, with an August 2013 join date, very few details, an inexplicably low price, only one picture and no discernible contact info that can be checked. Ask one of the local agencies and/or see if you can find this cross listed on VRBO or Home Away.

There are a lot of scams out there, especially in Key West. Do a lot of homework before you send $$ to anyone.

Glad you checked here. Maybe someone on the board can help with more specific info.

key west
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thoughts on this Place?

It may or may not be a legal transient rental. Even if the house is for real, owner honest and home lovely, you could still get booted if a neighbor reports it.

Chandler, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
19 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thoughts on this Place?

Thanks for the feedback. There's some additional pics present if you swipe past the first one (at least on my phone). The combo of low price, and being newly listed was what made me wonder. I'll try to cross check homeaway.com or vrbo as well. The transient license issue is a good point as well. Is there a quick and easy way to check this out? As always - proceeding with eyes wide open, and I appreciate the info!

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
10,678 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thoughts on this Place?

I would contact the owner and ask for the address. Then, call The City of Key West Code Enforcement (google it for the number) and ask if they have a transient license. The price seems very low to be legit, but the city can tell you.

Nassau, New York
Level Contributor
106 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thoughts on this Place?

The description on the page by the"owner" is"Hilarious 3 bedroom". I would run the other way.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,537 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thoughts on this Place?

I've heard a lot of creative descriptions but " hilarious three bedroom" is a first!

Grand Rapids mi
Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
1,761 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thoughts on this Place?

I wanted to check this out...when I click the link all I get is a single word......"forbidden" ??????

Deception Island
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Thoughts on this Place?

socrog- I got the same "forbidden" page when I tried to open it.

Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,268 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thoughts on this Place?

I think you have your answer....

Deception Island
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Thoughts on this Place?

In Key West I would only rent from a real estate company that has a brick and mortar office in Key West. Just too many scams and illegal rentals out there to risk anything else.