We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best lunch stop for the drive down?

Hudson, Ohio
Level Contributor
294 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Best lunch stop for the drive down?

We will be driving down from marco island , and was wondering what the best lunch stop is. I would prefer something on the water and good seafood.

Thanks

Key West Full-Day Power Adventure...
96 Reviews
from US$145.00*
Key West Sunset Champagne and...
109 Reviews
from US$63.00*
Special Offer
Key West Day Trip
394 Reviews
from US$65.00*
US$75.00
Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
200 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best lunch stop for the drive down?

Love Alabama jacks

Cape Canaveral...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,639 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best lunch stop for the drive down?

Sparky's Landing in Key Colony Beach.

phila
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best lunch stop for the drive down?

Myself speaking, forget lunch and get to Key West ASAP, everything will fall into place once you get there. ;)

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,505 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best lunch stop for the drive down?

Oh no, you gotta slow down and enjoy the rest of the Keys! Island Grill in Islamorada or Sparky's Landing (as cruisemom suggested) are good lunch spots.

The Villages...
Level Contributor
138 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best lunch stop for the drive down?

Sparky's for the fish taco's and fish gratinee. Mmmmmmm. We stop at Alabama Jacks on the way north.

Hudson, Ohio
Level Contributor
294 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best lunch stop for the drive down?

Are these places right off the highway ? I don't want to be going out of the way to much.

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,505 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best lunch stop for the drive down?

The keys are on a very narrow strip of land, and so you are never far from the main road. That is something not even worth considering when choosing where to eat lunch.

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,670 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best lunch stop for the drive down?

Worst advice EVER on the internet, skip the rest of the keys and get straight to Key West.

If it were me, I'd suggest taking days t get to Key West, Hell, if it were me, I'd Skip Key West and spend my time in the rest of the keys.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,936 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best lunch stop for the drive down?

it's much too long of a drive to hold off on eating!

While I'm sure many people will admit that there is a lot of similarity between many of the restaurants down the Keys, with few truly unique places, I've found that they are all easy to get to and can serve fish so fresh you'd think you were on the boat, out at sea! Order whatever is freshest, not what is the most exotic.

Stop in at Key Largo Fisheries on Key Largo

http://www.keylargofisheries.com/cafe.shtml

Islamorada Fish, next to the Bass Pro shop

yelp.com/biz/islamorada-fish-company-islamor…

or Key's Fisheries in Marathon

Florida Keys...
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best lunch stop for the drive down?

I never did 'get' Alabama Jacks, but I'll give a 3rd shout for Sparky's landing in Marathon, although that will be probably 80% of your journey from Marco so you may want something further up the Keys ?

Bayside Grille in Key Largo is nice - right on the bay and good food (go upstairs not the bar menu downstairs). It's at MM100-ish, turn right immediately after the traffic light when you see CVS in the median.

The pilot house is quite good too. It's on the water, but a marina so no pretty open water view. For that, go straight thru the same traffic light at MM100 and then turn left at the yellow flashing emergency light, cross the other carriageway of US1 and go straight to the end. Turn right and then left (it's only 1/4 mile from US1)

Another couple of pretty spots are Islamorada fish Co. or Lorelei in Islamorada. Both have beautiful settings, but I can't vouch for the food recently. From my experience a few years ago the food is pretty generic stuff.

Definitively take your time on the drive down. Rushing thru to Key West would be a crime, there's so much to see and do on the way down. As someone else said, pretty much nothing is more that a few hundred yards off US1, so don't worry about detouring off your route. Take your time and enjoy the drive !

Edited: 11 August 2013, 08:42