We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging advice near beach

Lincoln, Illinois
Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Lodging advice near beach

Seeking accommodation suggestions for a 5 night stay in late January. Would like to stay in a 2+ bedroom condo, townhome, or house/villa with a kitchen and heated pool, on or within walking distance of a sandy beach (a small beach is OK, I understand that KW doesn't have large beaches). Traveling with children age 7 and 10 and with grandmother who cannot walk long distances and uses a cane. We probably will not have a car and will just use taxis to get around. Casa Marina is a possibility but we would prefer to have a kitchen. Our budget is around $400-$500 per night. I would welcome suggestions that may not fit the above description exactly. Our kids are active and like to be outdoors swimming, exploring, playing on the beach, etc. so I am looking for a place that offers them some room to play. Animals/wildlife watching is a plus! Thanks for your suggestions.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,513 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging advice near beach

Look at the Santa Maria suites. Closer to Duval than the Casa and with access to the small, public South Beach.

Pjk

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,339 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging advice near beach

Are you willing to be in the Keys and not Key West?

Lincoln, Illinois
Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodging advice near beach

Yes!

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
451 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodging advice near beach

The Hyatt Beach house is a nice resort, located in New Town Key West. I believe that all the units there are 2 bedroom/2 bathroom condos.It is in New Town but they offer a shuttle for $5.00/pp to Old Town. It has a pool and a small beach. Try Redweek.com. They often have listings of the Beach House there. Good luck:)

Lincoln, Illinois
Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lodging advice near beach

Thank you for the suggestions, both are possibilities. Any thoughts on a rental on Sunset Key?

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
451 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lodging advice near beach

If Sunset Key is within your budget - go for it! I haven't personally stayed there but I would love to! The only downside (if you want to call it that) would be having to wait for the shuttle boat to bring you to and from the mainland but that might actually be a plus for you.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,513 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lodging advice near beach

The Westin seems to always be having specials which I assume aree applicable to the rooms on Sunset key. I think it would be nice to stay out there .

…westin.com/Westin-Key-West-Hotel-1780/…

Pjk

Lincoln, Illinois
Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lodging advice near beach

Thank you so much! That really helps narrow it down a lot...will see if we can work out the budget now.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
345 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lodging advice near beach

Also look into the Marriott Beachside. They were originally built as luxury condos but when that didn't work Marriott bought them and converted them. On a small (very small) beach, gorgeous full kitchens, free shuttle to Duval and it's under your budget. If Grandma isn't up for walking, their restaurant - Tavern N Town - gets good reviews. I'll be there next week and will post a review when I return.

I have read conflicting reports as to if they have a pull out couch or not. If not, you may need to look into a 3 bedroom unit. It would still be in your price range, depending on the days of the week that you stay.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,561 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lodging advice near beach

Personally, I wouldn't stay outside of Key West without a car.