We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation options

3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation options

What is the best way to get around Key West without a car ? We are staying at The Inn at Key West which is closer to the airport and not downtown...are taxis best or are there other options ? I don't want to go broke taking taxis all over the island ...

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation options

I'm not sure if the Inn has a shuttle. Perhaps not, if they aren't letting you know that. Without one, Cabs are best. If you are an experienced rider and don't drink, you could consider a scooter.

Savannah area, GA
Level Contributor
62 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation options

I also looked at the bus routes which look pretty good, but late at night you would need to taxi back.

keywestcity.com/egov/…1364395642_08565.pdf

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1 post
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation options

Rent a bike!

key west
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation options

I would bike during the day and take taxis at night.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
37,103 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation options

I only looked at one page but sometimes if you read through reviews, people will mention how they handled transportation to and from a place like the Inn.

Pjk

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Key West, Avalon
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation options

I always bike all over the island night and day. The bike paths are great for getting out to that part of the island, and in town if you stay on the side streets at night its no problem at all.

troilet
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation options

where to leave bikes for hours or overnight ???? safe ?

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
37,103 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation options

For overnight, leave them where you are staying, chained up. For hours, there are bike racks here there and everywhere in Key West. There's a good one right in front of Two Friends on Front Street and there are a few just off the Mallory docks. But watch for the signs admonishing you not to chain them to the Westin's fence.

Pjk

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,922 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transportation options

Your rental bikes will come with locks. Lock up to a tree, rack, or take them into your room.

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
11,426 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transportation options

Also, if you ride into town and you want a taxi back, just let them know you have a bike and they will send a taxi with a bike rack.