We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tell me how you do it!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
285 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Tell me how you do it!

How do you bear waiting an entire year to go back to Key West!? My husband and I went for the first time last November, on our honeymoon. We're heading home from Dallas/San Antonio/Corpus Christi tomorrow, and we're planning on heading back to Key West Nov 2014...I'm booking our vacation rental in December, and our plane tickets as soon as humanly possible.

How do you stand it? There are times I want to be back in KW so bad I could cry...tell me how you bring a little bit of the island to your lives, especially during the cold and snowy months (we live in Minneapolis).

Grand Rapids mi
Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
1,753 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tell me how you do it!

there is a reason this forum is so popular !

chicago
Level Contributor
387 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tell me how you do it!

We went last in November also.The weather was perfect. I could have stayed till May. I have a tiki bar in my basement with some keys momentos; a coconut, conch republic flag, an empty KW ale bottle, mile 0 sign. I wear flip flops inside the house during the winter and go to fun restaurants and order some fun/sun cocktails. During the summer we try to hit some restaurant/ bars with garden patios for that KW feel. Hey Socrog , love Capt Lous in South Haven. Very Key Westy.

Edited: 08 October 2013, 05:34
Level Contributor
288 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tell me how you do it!

We cope by doing a 3-4 day quickie at around the 6 month mark

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tell me how you do it!

Reading this forum is a big help .....but for the first time ever we booked a second trip within the same year....We are here now as I type this.....ahhhhhhh

Now we are spoiled and talking about what cuts we can make to get here twice every year! I discovered KW years ago and made a couple trips with friends. I introduced my boyfriend a few yrs after we started dating. Now we have been coming down here for 6 or 7 years and its a part of our life ....

Grand Rapids mi
Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
1,753 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tell me how you do it!

@rasco...yes, Capt Lou's is great. we spend a lot of time there in the summer. go to the beach (awesome) and then to Lou's to sit by the river and have a "few" drinks is an awesome day. We have said the town does have a little of the KW vibe.

Reading...
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tell me how you do it!

We have been fortunate enough to have been able to get down twice a year lately, but sadly i have'nt been down since Febuary. I'm trying to convince the wife that yes , santiago's roman meatballs is definately woth a flight down!!

How do we cope?? well we throw alot of KW themed parties ( I have a caban that if you moved it from dreary old Pa to Key west , it would fit in perfect). I have yellowtail snapper and conch shipped up to us and my wife makes some of our favorite dishes. Again she's a pretty accomplished cook and she is starting to nail cuban cuisine (picadillio , cuban sandwiches, rice and beans, plaintains). We try to bring Key West to us..... That being said there's nothing like the feeling I get the second I step off the plane and see welcome to the conch republic!!!

Ben Wheeler, Texas
Level Contributor
39 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tell me how you do it!

Its called Key’s disease, i dont think you ever get over it. LOL

Sparks, Maryland
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tell me how you do it!

it is impossible not to think about it all the time. I AM RETIRED AND spend my day looking at all web sites and facebook about KW. Go to youtube and watch a show called KEY WESTit will help but will not fullfill your desire to be there

U.S.A.
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tell me how you do it!

Listen to lots of Jimmy Buffett music....

Back To The Island

Last Mango In Paris

Trying To Reason With Hurricane Season

The Weather Is Here, Wish You Were Beautiful

Take Another Road

A Pirate Looks At Forty

Dallas,Texas
Level Contributor
294 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tell me how you do it!

Watch the live cams at Green Parrot, Hogs Breath and others. It will take you there if only for a short time.