We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Who's taken the Yankee freedom to the dry tortugas?

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North Canton, Ohio
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Who's taken the Yankee freedom to the dry tortugas?

My husband and I have been wanting to make it to the dry tortugas for quite a while. We finally decided that we were going to fit it into our trip for our first anniversary. Of course that didn't happen because of the shutdown, but I am going back to the keys in just 10 days and I was so happy to hear that the park re- opens on October 21st and that the Yankee freedom will resume service! My only concern is that I get sea sick very easily! Yes, even in the keys on a flat calm day bottom fishing about 7 miles out I get very sick! My only experience on a boat in the keys when I did not get sick was my wedding reception (thank goodnes!) which was on a sunset cruise. Taking the seaplane is not an option for us as my husband hates heights! So, my question is, for those of you that have taken the Yankee freedom to the tortugas do I need to be worried about getting motion sickness on the way there and back? I always muscle through it bc I love being on the water so much, but I need to mentally prepare myself!

key west
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Who's taken the Yankee freedom to the dry tortugas?

Justbeachy. Although I don't get seasick I have been on the boat to the tortugas multiple times and SOMEBODY always gets sick so if you are very susceptible be aware it could happen. More so in the winter, rockier seas etc. it could be a perfect ride but I would still prepare yourself

m

North Canton, Ohio
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Who's taken the Yankee freedom to the dry tortugas?

Thanks! I figured I would, but need to prepare myself! I cannot take Dramamine bc it makes me a zombie (I'm only 4'10 and under 100lbs so it's not a good combo)! Nausean works much better for me, but I still usually get sick. I will just take that and hope for the best!

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,900 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Who's taken the Yankee freedom to the dry tortugas?

Have you tried Bonine? Similar but different. Does well for me as does Benedryl. I have also had good luck with the shock band. Expensive, but so worth it!!!

conn
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Who's taken the Yankee freedom to the dry tortugas?

Try ginger snaps, with real ginger in it. I went to the Dry Tortugas a little over a year ago and did see a few people get sick, avoiding the diesel fumes also helps.

Edited: 20 October 2013, 04:23
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,547 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Who's taken the Yankee freedom to the dry tortugas?

There are lots of threads discussing the Yankee Freedom trips out to the DTs.

The new boat is even more stable than the previous ones but even this big fast boat will have some rocking, especially out in the deep water channel that you have to cross. I try to stay away from the diesel fumes at the back of the boat, drink water or ginger ale and if I feel the slightest trace of sea sickness I would head out to the front of the ship and keep my eye's on the horizon. They have 2 elevated areas there, like something you'd see on a whale watching boat.

Many folks spent the whole trip up at the bow.

If you have a tendency towards seasickness there are countless remedies. The best I just read about is a prescription-only pill called Meclizine, but you can't drink alcohol when you're on it.

North Canton, Ohio
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Who's taken the Yankee freedom to the dry tortugas?

Thanks everyone for all the help! I definitely got some good ideas that will help and will let everyone know how it goes! I'll be headed back to the keys October 30th and I'm counting down the days!

7. Re: Who's taken the Yankee freedom to the dry tortugas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2014, 06:22