We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

30th birthday in Key West - suggestions?

Lyons, Colorado
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
30th birthday in Key West - suggestions?

Hey there!

Heading to Key West in 2 weeks (mid November) for my 30th birthday with a few friends. We're staying about 1 mile from Mallory Square. Would love to hear your suggestions on restaurants, things to do, etc. I would love to do Dry Tortugas, but at almost $200/person, it's a bit pricey. Plus we're only there for 3 days and I hear it takes a significant amount of time to get there and back.

Thanks in advance!

-Erin

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,006 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 30th birthday in Key West - suggestions?

If you will be there on your actual birthday you can take advantage of Fury free birthday trip. I did this on my birthday and it was amazing. I did the two-stop snorkel trip that left around 11:30am. I saw so many beautiful, colorful fish out on the reef and I even swam with a sea turtle for quite some time! They provided beer, wine, and champagne on the way back. I signed up at the fury booth in front of Conch Republic the night before.

furycat.com/key-west/things-to-do-for-birthd…

Lyons, Colorado
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 30th birthday in Key West - suggestions?

That's awesome! Thank you!!

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,798 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 30th birthday in Key West - suggestions?

Try to hit the tiki bar at the sunset pier at the Ocean Key Resort, 0 (no kidding) Duval Street. Great drinks, live music, and a great view of the boats going in and out of the harbor.

And at night, the Schooner Wharf Bar at the Key West Bight. More live music and if he is in town. Frank the Magician other back at the Magic Bar starting at 9:00 pm.

Pjk

Lyons, Colorado
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 30th birthday in Key West - suggestions?

Sounds great. Thanks so much!

Maryland
Level Contributor
699 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 30th birthday in Key West - suggestions?

Pjk...just showed this to my husband and said "we'll be doing that!"!

Reading...
Level Contributor
1,351 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 30th birthday in Key West - suggestions?

With time so limited skip Dry Tortugas, enjoy the many Happy Hours, and fine dining all over the island>

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,279 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 30th birthday in Key West - suggestions?

Fury offers all of their water excursions free on your birthday, so you can skip from one to another if you'd like!! We were there in June for my daughter's 13th birthday. We had limited time, so we only did the two-stop snorkel, but one of our guides told us we could book as many as we wanted and she would be free for ALL!:)

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,798 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 30th birthday in Key West - suggestions?

Fury's Commotion on the Ocean, a sunset sail with live music is very popular but their Power Adventure is an all-day affair with snorkeling kayaking and you can save over $100.00 on it for your birthday. Others in your group also get a discount.

Pjk

T L
Tonsberg, Norway
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: 30th birthday in Key West - suggestions?

That sounds wonderful!

We parked by the aquarium & the shipwreck museum last November (Front street) - the sunset was really beautiful, and when we returned to the car after a dinner at Hard Rock Cafe in Duval Street (went there for our kids - they loved it! ), the waterfront area was filled with street music, performers and an occasional rooster :)

Dry Tortugas was a real hit with our family - we went camping 3 nights. But for such a short time, I would do a snorkelling tour closer to Key West instead.

If you drive down, the Dolphin Research Center on Marathon / Grassy key is worth a visit:

http://www.dolphins.org/

...and feeding the tarpoons at Robbie's on Islamorada Key is a fun experience:

http://www.robbies.com/tarpon.htm

Best wishes for the B-day!

Tony

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
97 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 30th birthday in Key West - suggestions?

I'm 32 and have been going to key west twice a year for the past 4 years. It's my home away from home! We have done a few different trips w fury and highly recommend them! My other suggestion is to rent bikes, we like eaton bikes, and bar hop listening to great live music. Ask locals for their opinions when ur there. Schooners wharf has recently become a favorite of mine, excellent keys feel with awesome people watching! Make sure you spend a little time in Irish Kevin's, always a blast! And green parrot usually has some great bands, we discovered a miami local favorite band there a few years ago, suenalo, and have been following them since! Biggest piece of advice is to throw away any inhibitions and wild out, no one judges you in key west!