We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Day 2 (11/10/13)

Rochester Hills...
Level Contributor
433 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report Day 2 (11/10/13)

I woke up at 7:30 and took a walk over to Faustos for some breakfast foods and drinks. Let my wife sleep in a bit. After breakfast we met our friends and A&M bikes on Truman to rent 4 bikes. $10 per bike per day is a great way to get around the island. We all wished we had gotten them right away yesterday as everyone had sore feet, especially the girls who had worn heels the night before.

Rode our bike out to Ft. Zach to watch the 10:00am boat races and hang at the beach. This is our favorite beach in KW, such a beautiful place! Traffic to get into Fort Zach and the Truman Annex was backed all the way up on Whitehead. It was nice to zip by everyone on our bikes! Fort Zach was of course packed. The guys watched the early race and the girls watched for about 30 seconds then headed to the beach lol. After the race we joined them, sunned, swam and relaxed. TIP: the far right side of Fort Zach beach (towards the rocks) has some decent sand and less rocks in the water. Much better place to sun and swim than the beach area down by the café. Guys left at noon to go watch some football! I am a huge Eagles fan so of course we went to the Rum Barrel. My friend is a Bears fan and we were able to find a table where we could see both games. Eagles beat the Packers and the fight song was sung many times! We had some nachos and Cannon fries for lunch and more than a few beers. Saw Tim (Key West Limey on here) there with his lovely wife and bought him a beer. Really enjoyed his Tales and Trails of Key West tour last year! The ladies went to Southernmost Beach Café for lunch and met us up towards the end of the football games.

We then headed over to the Bight for our sunset cruise reservations. Timing was perfect and we boarded the Fury Commotion on the Ocean shortly after arriving. What a great time! This sunset cruise is two hours and has a live band on deck. Beer and margaritas are served throughout the cruise and they do an excellent job of making sure your glass is never empty. They also served appetizers which to my best recollection included chicken tenders/cheese squares/crackers/veggies/conch fritters and some tuna nacho chips. Soon the dance floor was packed and everyone was having a great time. Highly recommend it!

By the time we got back we were all of course feeling no pain. Stopped by Fairvilla – I wanted them to see the place lol. We then decided after last night’s expensive dinner and all the apps that some pizza sounded good. Headed up to Mr. Z’s and shared a pizza. Had a beer at Krawl Off Duval across the street while we waited. After pizza we headed over to Smokin’ Tuna. Thanks to this forum I had heard what a great place this was for live music and as always, the TA community was spot on. What a great place! Lost track of how many rounds we had there but saw a guy play and then Caffeine Carl came on. All the music was great and my wife even got me out to dance a bit. Will definitely not be our last time to the Tuna! By this time we were more smoked than the tuna so called it a night. Day 2 in the books…day 3 and 4 to follow.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
268 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report Day 2 (11/10/13)

Nice report, sounds like fun. The Tuna has good food also, give it a try, cool atmosphere over there. Look forward to your next reports.

Grand Rapids mi
Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
1,753 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report Day 2 (11/10/13)

another great day...the TUNA is great,,,as is the Tales and Trails tour !

Western...
Level Contributor
3,800 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report Day 2 (11/10/13)

We love Tim and KeyLimey!

PJ

Cape Canaveral...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,401 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report Day 2 (11/10/13)

This totally could have been one of our days in Key West. Key West Limey is actually Tim's lovely wife though. ;) We absolutely LOVE the Tuna and end up there every night. We've spent many game days in Rum Barrel - fun times!

Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
3,238 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report Day 2 (11/10/13)

Great day 2!! The Rum Barrel is always fun for the Eagles game, especially when they are winning!!!

Rochester Hills...
Level Contributor
433 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report Day 2 (11/10/13)

And it was good to see your husband KeyLimey! I should have come over and introduced myself but I was too focused on the game. My buddy did take a nice picture of Tim and I. I'll send it to you in a PM once I get it off my phone.

Cape Canaveral...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,401 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report Day 2 (11/10/13)

I have that same T-shirt you're wearing in your picture - and I'm a Dolphins fan.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,273 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report Day 2 (11/10/13)

Sounds like you are having so much fun!

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report Day 2 (11/10/13)

Sounds like another great day - thanks for the read! What kind of boats were racing? Thnx :)

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report Day 2 (11/10/13)

Fun times! Waiting for more!