We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip will soon be here!!! Help!!!

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow,ky
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trip will soon be here!!! Help!!!

Counting down the days to Key West, August 12-15. Still looking for things to do, the Sebago trip is out because they are closed the days we will be there. So any more suggestions............ just want to be on the water, drink in hand.Our plane arrives at 1:00 on Sat. so we will have most of that day. Plus we dont fly out until 6:00 pm on Tuesday, that really gives us another full day. Sunset cruise for sure. Lots of eating and drinking. But what water sports?

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,405 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip will soon be here!!! Help!!!

IMO...

For the first night pre-book the Floridays for a champaigne sunset sail. You may not have to pre-book but if the weather looks good, they might fill-up.

ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/floridays/

As an alternative to the Sebago trip, look into the Danger Charte's half-day or full-day excursion, whichever fits your schedule or pocketbook. The only difference is the boat and their full-day trip is a little more expensive.

http://www.dangercharters.com/

Or you can try the Appledore day sail / snorkel...

http://www.appledore2.com/snorkel.htm

And there is always the Stars & Stripes which has an all-day sail with two snorkel stops and no kayak trip...

http://www.adventurekeywest.com/

Pjk

minneapolis
Level Contributor
1,511 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip will soon be here!!! Help!!!

There are lots of stands around the Bight that will give you prices and suggestions for snorkelling, jet skis, etc.

If you like sailboats, I suggest you stop in at Capt. Tony's or the Schooner Wharf and see if you can get Carl (looks and sings like Eric Clapton) to bring you on his Island Belle for a sunset sail. His boat is right outside the Schooner Bar and he charges $40/pp. You can bring your own booze or snack. He only allows 2-5 people on his boat at a time, so we think it's a lot more relaxing then the "party boats". It's like being on a mini pirate boat because you have to duck when he switches the sails, and it's really romantic and quiet. We do this every year, and it's our favorite thing to do.

Glasgow,ky
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip will soon be here!!! Help!!!

Thanks for the suggestions! My friend and I are going for her birthday. Shes never been to the Keys so I really want her to see how great it is, and why I love it. Since this is a birthday gift to her, I am really trying to do everything on a budget. ( A bit of a problem). But , we will bike, walk, bus...........enjoy the view, and people. I also think we may do a jet ski tour.............thoughts????

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,405 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip will soon be here!!! Help!!!

Where are you staying?

Pjk

Glasgow,ky
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip will soon be here!!! Help!!!

We are staying at the Ambrosia on Fleming. In Bobs room, minus Bob. Its my friends first trip away from the husband and children. So its girls kicking back , drinking and geeting sun (hopefully).

Wheel

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,405 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip will soon be here!!! Help!!!

You're staying three days and staying on Fleming so if anything I would rent bikes and spend one half day biking to the south end of the island to see the White Stret pier (go out onto it if it has finally re-openned), Higgs Beach, Smathers Beach and the East and West Martello towers. You can find Louie's Backyard and take a peek.

The best way to save money is to get a couple copies of See Key West Magazine. On page 36 there is a coupon for a free drink with the purchase of an appitizer at Alonzo's. During happy hour Alonzo's also has half-priced apps (everything on the left side of the menu) so you can sit outside here and for $3.00, say, have a (free) drink and 1/2 lb. of shrimp. $6.00 for a full lb. You can walk over here and do this every night. I think this is the best deal on the island

There is also a coupon for a free drink at the Half Shell Raw bar but the apps are full-priced there. Still not a bad deal though.

You can also go over to Kelly's on Whitehead and have margueritas for $2.50 and an order of chicken wings or conch fritters, also for $2.50 each. $5.00 for a drink and a snack here is the 2nd best deal.

The See Key West magazine also has coupons for sailing / snorkeling trips: 10% off any Fury adventure and $5.00 off any Sebago trip. You can pick the one that is appropriate. (There is a $2.00 off coupon buried somewhere on the Caribbean Spirit's web page).

And it has been my expirience that Janet Masingill has really good prices on the Fury trips (and not the Sebago or Caribbean Spirit). She's at a cart on the corner of Front and Duval, on the Pier House side. 790-9236. She's booked me on the Fury combo for 30.00 plus tax IIRC.

Pjk

Glasgow,ky
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip will soon be here!!! Help!!!

You always have the best ideals!!! I owe you a drink.....on a budget, half a drink ! I will be sure and pick up the magazine at the airport. How often do you go to the keys? I know, not often enough!!! I have been a few times but never as the planner. Its exciting. Looking for things to do.Where to go. I am so ready. And my friend is counting the days. Thanks again for your input. I've read that the sunset at Fort Zachary is great. So I'm planning an afternoon there,doing the sun thing. This forum is great for planning and looking for great deals.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
182 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip will soon be here!!! Help!!!

Just got back, we did the jet ski around the island. You pick it up at the Gallion, next to A&B Lobster House on the wharf. We called before we went and made a reservation, he just took our name, didn't even want a credit card to hold reservation. He told us, just to give a courtesy call if we couldn't make it. We got a jet ski that rides two, my husband any myself both went together. Plus, I mentioned I saw it on their website and asked if I could have the $10 coupon mentioned on their website, and he said sure.

Our guide was Tony, the most friendliest guy you ever want to meet. There were only three of us following Tony. We stopped periodically along the way, where Tony would give us information on different parts of the island. We even had a little shallow water break where we got off the jet skis and just cooled off a bit. We both loved this 2 hour tour around the island, and everything about this tour was worth every penny. It was a bargin at $100. We'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys the water. We surely picked a winner, anybody who takes the tour, you won't be sorry. Just plain FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then afterwards, when your done driving the jet ski, pop into A&B Lobster house for an ale and some shrimp, then wander down to Schooners wharf and enjoy a little music, have a drink, and call home to the kids or call a friend at home and tell them to go to schooners website where they can see you enjoying this great island, its alot of silly fun. I love this island, it just doesn't get any better than this. We had a perfect afternoon.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip will soon be here!!! Help!!!

Will it be too cool to do jetskis in January?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
182 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip will soon be here!!! Help!!!

Hopefully someone out there can advise myown about the water temp. in January, we always go in the summer, mmmmmm.

I love reading these threads, I learn so much, its sooo much easier to be prepared and have a plan, theres so much to do on that little island. We just got back and were planning for next summer!!!