We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report #7 (Nov 23-30)

mi
Level Contributor
353 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report #7 (Nov 23-30)

This was our 7th visit to Key West since 2007. To be honest, the island has changed a bit over the years ... and so have we I guess. We are pretty much done with the cruise ship crowds, the frat boy antics on duval (saw a fist fight at Greene&Duval), the $5 t-shirt stores and the mallory square scene. Don't get me wrong, there are great places near lower duval (Pepe's, BO's, SWB, Hog's Breath, etc.) but at this point, we are enjoying the other side of the island.

Here are a few things we enjoyed on this trip: biking the neighborhoods, walking Smathers beach, exploring the West Martello Gardens/memorials/piers at Higgs, sitting by the Atlantic and watching the sunset, pedi's at a day spa, shopping the upper duval galleries/boutiques and a Fury snorkel trip.

Breakfasts at Croissants, Frenchie's, Ana's and Cuban Coffe Queen were all good.

Lunches at BO's, Franco's, Shark Bites, SMOTB were all ok too.

Dinners at Santiago's, Abbodanza, Fausto's Thanksgiving carryout and Square One were awesome. Dinners at Conch Repulic and BO's we ok. Dinner at Louie's was poor.

Trip #8 is planned for Feb

Western...
Level Contributor
3,800 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report #7 (Nov 23-30)

The great thing about KW is you can find what you like and stay away from what you don't. Thanks for the report.

PJ

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,836 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report #7 (Nov 23-30)

Deanegm, sounds like you need to come back to Anna Maria Island!! I agree with you though, we do change, and what we liked years ago is not what we want now so it's good that you still have your love for Key West and can enjoy different things. I'm going through the same thing with AMI, lots of changes but learning to adapt to enjoy!

Tuckerton, New...
Level Contributor
162 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report #7 (Nov 23-30)

How was the Fury snorkle trip?

Grand Rapids mi
Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
1,761 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report #7 (Nov 23-30)

thats one great thing about KW....one day you can be wild and crazy,,,the next chill and relaxed !

Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
3,338 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report #7 (Nov 23-30)

Thanks for sharing!! Glad you found some new things to like!! Key West has so much diversity...something for everyone!!

Reading...
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report #7 (Nov 23-30)

Thanks for the report, you can always shift gears while in KW!!!

mi
Level Contributor
353 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report #7 (Nov 23-30)

Chrissy, we took the Fury Dolphin and Snorkel trip. Captain Ang was great, I would go out with her again. However, it is a small boat (holds 18 people) and we had 18 people so it was packed. You couldn't move around at all because there was no where to move to. Every spot was filled. The snorkel spot was off of Archer Key. We saw quite a few fish, but nothing remarkable. I would not do that trip again, but we don't regret going, if that makes sense.

RustyKat, we will be there in 3 weeks :)

New Jersey
Level Contributor
520 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report #7 (Nov 23-30)

When you go back you have to try McConnell's Irish Pub (Olivia & Duval) they Chef that used to work at Square One is the Head Chef there. If you don't see it on the menu ask the owner.

Another favorite Blackfin, you won't be disappointed. Have a great time.

Mentioned in this post
McConnell's Irish Pub
McConnell's Irish Pub
412 Reviews
Key West, FL
Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
37,036 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report #7 (Nov 23-30)

---> www.furycat.com/key-west/watch-dolphins.htm

Archer Key is a great place to bird watch, one of the best, but not a good place to snorkel, but it's unlikely they go out there every trip.

Pjk

mi
Level Contributor
353 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report #7 (Nov 23-30)

Kelsie, we did go to McConnell's, much nicer than when it was Bogart's. We didn't trust the menu enough to eat there, but now that I know the chef came from Square One, we will try it. We've gone to Blackfin in the past, but not this trip. Thanks

PJK, it was a very windy week, and it was blowing 20-25mph the day we were out, so maybe that is why we ended up where we did. 3 other boats were there when we were, so maybe it was the only place that was ok that day. We didn't look around for birds, our faces were in the water, but we will next time now that I know.