We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

OTBW live trip report! Dec 5-10 2013

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
Level Contributor
458 posts
1 review
Save Topic
OTBW live trip report! Dec 5-10 2013

Sitting in the Philadelphia airport... Boarding plane in 15 mins!

Will try to post in here during the next 5-6 days. Maybe get fancy and link to pics

Feel free to comment along the way.

We'll be in key west at noon. (Via a short stop in Orlando)

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,622 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: OTBW live trip report! Dec 5-10 2013

looking forwards to reading it (we are having a Cold hurricane here)

PHILADELPHIA,PA
Level Contributor
402 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: OTBW live trip report! Dec 5-10 2013

Very much looking forward to reading about your adventure. Only 6 more days for us. Sounds like our flights are identical with time departure and the change of planes in Orlando. Except for the fact we are going next week. This will be our first time flying into Key West believe it or not. I hope you have a very safe trip! Have fun!

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,414 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: OTBW live trip report! Dec 5-10 2013

Key West Weather:

Right Now ---> 80°F FEELS LIKE 83°

Today --->81°F Chance of rain ---> 0%

Tomorrow --->82°F Chance of rain ---> 10% (chance of drinks 100%, I bet)

Pjk

Edited: 05 December 2013, 15:40
New Jersey
Level Contributor
491 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: OTBW live trip report! Dec 5-10 2013

Have a wonderful trip. Looking forward to hearing all about it. Don't forget to walk down the street to McConnell's for HH. Have fun!

Maryland
Level Contributor
69 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: OTBW live trip report! Dec 5-10 2013

Wow... Have fun we'll be flying for KW on 9th. Flight has similar schedule.. Super excited!!

Maryland
Level Contributor
69 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: OTBW live trip report! Dec 5-10 2013

Please tell me about travel from the airport, did you take a cab?

cheshire
Level Contributor
164 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: OTBW live trip report! Dec 5-10 2013

Hope you have good journey will be watching this space heading down in late jan first time on the keys can't wait

New Jersey
Level Contributor
458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: OTBW live trip report! Dec 5-10 2013

So didn't do much live blogging yesterday, huh!?

Like a kid who busted into a candy store... We overdid it the first day. Hah

Olivia's is awesome. We are poolside. It really is 10-15ft to the pool. Only 2 rooms (above and below) face the pool. Room is very nice but I've hit my head 3 times already going to the bathroom (low ceiling at toilet cause it's actually under stairs)

Very warm yesterday! Standing in line waiting the few mins for a cab, really it felt hotter than the actual temperature. That's a great thing!

The big question for us was the C/O pool. I knew I'd have no problems with it... Curious about the misses.

She loves it!

It helped that the great staff at Olivia's allowed us into the room early... And when we got here the pool area was empty and we had it to ourselves for a few hours. So with a few adult beverages in hand (plus the ones from the plane, layover, and airport) very quickly we were both full C/O participants, and Mrs OTBW was happily proclaiming "this is awesome! I love this!"

We hung out by the pool for hours. Later on the area was very full. Someone commented it was the most people they'd seen there in 5 yrs of visits. I played the role of drunken "let's get everyone chatting and in the pool" guy... I think I did more help than harm, but isn't that what the drunk guy always thinks? Great group of people.... interesting was a young couple and their friend who say they had no idea about the pool... The mom (not on trip) booked it for them based on price and availability and they had no clue but they did admit "yeah she probably knew".

I had no idea how close the back gate of Olivia's is to Duval. There is a large restarunt on the corner and the gate opens up right next to it. Duval is 40-50 ft and McConnells pub is right there on opposite corner.

So we went to McConnells for dinner. Nice place and was there perfectly timed for quizzo that may have been one if the toughest ones ever. We probably were in dead last. I had corned beef and cabbage which was very good but I remember the dish at the Irish pub closer to Dante's (finnegans?) and we will be heading there this week.

We strolled up duval... Hitting Fat Tuesdays (I know..but my wife loves the drinks), the hog and bull and Cowboy bills. Cowboy Bills was eerily quiet. The front bar had about 20 people and a really good country performer...but the rest of the complex was a ghost town.

.I'd be a little more descriptive but it was all a blur. Hah,. We were back at 11 which is ridiculous early for us, but the day started at 4:30am, and the flight , swimming and drinking caught up with us.

Now that the first day excitement is over I'll try to post throughout the day and give better descriptions of the bars, food and things we are doing.

Moving slowly... More pool today is the only plan then we wing it from there

NeeR_RG: nicely organized cab stand at airport. We ended up sharing a van with several couples heading to duval area. Fare was $8 each.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,414 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: OTBW live trip report! Dec 5-10 2013

Danger Charters must have found out you were going down ...

82 degrees, chance of rain 0%, chance of a great time with Danger Charters 100%. Drop everything and pull your shorts back out and put your boots up and break out the flip flops. Get down here.

Pjk

New Jersey
Level Contributor
458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: OTBW live trip report! Dec 5-10 2013

Thanks pjk!

I've heard there is water down here. :-)

We plan on doing something out on the water. Will definitely look at this one.