We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant from the past

Chicago
Level Contributor
257 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant from the past

We (my family and I) are going to Key West this January. It is the first time back for me and my wife since 15 years or so. Back then we were annual visitors. I am curious as to a restaurant that I cannot remember the name of. It was in the Historic area and the seating was outside under the boughs of a very large tree. They had lights in the branches, the ambiance (and the food!) was amazing. Is this restaurant still around?

Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Key West Full-Day Power Adventure...
95 Reviews
from US$145.00*
Key West Sunset Champagne and...
109 Reviews
from US$63.00*
Special Offer
Key West Day Trip
394 Reviews
from US$65.00*
US$75.00
New Jersey
Level Contributor
521 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant from the past

What kind of food did they serve? You mention the Historic area, what was around there?

Deception Island
Level Contributor
1,547 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant from the past

Residential area or more of a commercial area?

How big of a restaurant?

All seating outside?

Just looking for some more clues!

Fort Gratiot
Level Contributor
221 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant from the past

Sounds like maybe Kelly's although I wouldn't call their food amazing. Atmosphere is nice though.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
521 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant from the past

NY Pasta & Pizza Garden---Italian food, lights in the trees and Parrots hanging out. Music & it is in Duval Sq.

Mentioned in this post
Duval Inn
Duval Inn
768 Reviews
Key West, FL
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,534 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant from the past

Sounds like Hooters about 15 years ago.

Plenty of possible outdoor dining options under trees though. Exploring your options will be half the fun.

key west
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant from the past

It does sound like Kelly's and I agree. Not impressed by the food.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
143 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant from the past

Kelly's has good margarita's and wings for happy hour though :)

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
37,216 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant from the past

The food was better15 years ago.

Pjk

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,546 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant from the past

There were a lot of things better 15 years ago...and a lot of worse things...but,

Any other details , like another nearby establishment Or landmark? KW has changed so much, I hope you find the place you're looking for, with good memories. Come back and let us know.

Florida
Level Contributor
41 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant from the past

Blue Heaven has a large tree, amazing island ambiance, good service and great food. It is in Bahama Village and the building itself is historic - and infamously so, as it was once a bordello and the upstairs dining room decor betrays its earlier incarnation. In the early part of the last century there was a boxing ring in the yard and Hemingway was often a referee. Blue Heaven is Key West's most popular restaurant, with locals and visitors alike. You will wait to eat - some hotel concierges can get you a reservation and make the wait a little less, but my rule of thumb is: don't wait until you're hungry to wander over there. Go early, put your name in relax and have a drink; the bar area is delightful. While you wait, you can also browse their gift shop and the 'old apothecary' style shop next door - Besame Mucho. It's delightful, though certainly price-y, and you may not want to buy anything, but I promise you will enjoy looking.

Mentioned in this post
Blue Heaven
Blue Heaven
12,224 Reviews
Key West, FL