We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing Guide Tipping

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Louisiana
Level Contributor
93 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Fishing Guide Tipping

My wife and I are going on a private 4 hour charter for "back water" fishing next week. Cost is $450. What is an average tip for the captain?

John

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
12,341 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing Guide Tipping

Some of this depends on how your day goes, if you catch plenty of fish and the Capt goes out if his way for you consider $80-$100.

Key West
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishing Guide Tipping

10 to 20 % depending on how much he does for you. If he works hard to show you a good time and make sure you have a good day then a bit more is always appreciated. If he doesn't put much effort into it then less. Also please remember just because you may not catch lots of fish on any given day doesn't mean that his tip should reflect that. If fishing is slow and you can tell he's really trying to "hook you up" it's nice to get a bit of a reward for that. As captains and crew we want to think we can we can not fill the boat every trip, sometimes no matter how good you are the fish don't cooperate.

Fish hard,

Bonez

Reading...
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishing Guide Tipping

True that Cap't Bonez!! It's always good to tip well, it takes alot of effort and money for a captain to operate a boat. Don't deem your tip on whether or not you catch alot of fish, tip on the experience, for me a day on the water trying to catch fish is better then sitting in front of my computer looking at photos for people catching fish LOL and like I tell my son it's called fishing not catching.

Enjoy!!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
12,341 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fishing Guide Tipping

I stand corrected, thanks Capt.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
93 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fishing Guide Tipping

Thanks for the tips on tipping.

John

6. Re: Fishing Guide Tipping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2015, 05:18