We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How easy is it to find free parking in old town?

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How easy is it to find free parking in old town?

I posted a question a few days ago about renting a car one way vs. keeping a car for a week in Key West.....they were great responses - most leaned toward renting one way.

I would though, like to keep a rental car for a week in KW and it's not that expensive. I have a place in Old Town....how difficult would it been to find spaces daily? I don't mind walking a few blocks either.....

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,903 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How easy is it to find free parking in old town?

if by "daily" you mean that you would be driving the car every day and then trying to find a parking space in the afternoon or evening- it's not easy.

If you drive around the block you might get lucky. Some areas have spaces available during the early afternoon. But it would be gambling to expect to get a good street space every day.

I would just park the car. You're often going to have to find a space to park if you drive anywhere, or spend what could be the price of a rented bicycle to park in any lots.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,882 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How easy is it to find free parking in old town?

There are several city pay lots. I've never had a problem finding space in them. Rates vary, the one behind ocean key seems to be high $, but the others I never even really notice how much they are.

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
11,376 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How easy is it to find free parking in old town?

Where in Old Town? Not all of Old Town has the same parking issues.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,882 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How easy is it to find free parking in old town?

BTW - totally missed the "Free" part of the question.

Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
3,338 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How easy is it to find free parking in old town?

I live in the heart of the tourist district and have to street park my car. I do have the advantage of being able to use the resident only spaces, but usually there is non resident parking as well. It depends on where in Old Town you want to park. You may have to hunt for parking and walk back to where you are staying, and it can sometimes be difficult, but not impossible.

Cape Canaveral...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,593 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How easy is it to find free parking in old town?

It definitely depends on where you're staying. We always manage to find a parking space when we first arrive, but I sure wouldn't want to be looking for parking every day. Sometimes we get lucky and can park right in front of our B&B, but we often need to park a couple blocks away.

Frozen North
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How easy is it to find free parking in old town?

As others have said, it will depend on where in Old Town. We do it every year for the month of March, and some days are harder than others but it is doable. Although I often find myself wrestling with wanting to go somewhere and not wanting to give up my spot and having to hope finding another.

South Jersey
Level Contributor
3,434 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How easy is it to find free parking in old town?

Closer you get to lowed Duval the harder it is. We had a car at the Casa Marina and even during fantasy fest it was easy to find free parking there, at the hint of the front desk clerk we were able to find a spot next to the hotel daily without a problem. For travelling around I can find sometimes free parking on either side of upper Duval around Petronia but sometimes I pay at a meter for a couple of hours. Metered parking was fairly easy around Green Street by the SWB. I liked having a car rather than relying on cabs or long walks if we were going out for an hour or two or over to Stock Island, for bar hopping of course we took a cab,

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: How easy is it to find free parking in old town?

thanks a million for the responses!

sounds like it's doable, although a risk.

10. Re: How easy is it to find free parking in old town?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2015, 05:18