We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

moving to key west?

Howell, NJ
Level Contributor
10 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
moving to key west?

Hi All, I know this has been asked many times before but I am trying to get some updated info on our planned move to Key West. My wife and I are planning on moving there very soon. We are in our early 50's and have been visiting there since the 80's and always wanted to live there. Next year our youngest son is going to be a senior in college so the time is getting close. We will be buying a modest home there and hope to get two full time jobs with benefits, blah blah blah. We are both professional (IT and Insurance) but we are not overt to reinventing ourselves to be able to live there. We are planning on renting for the first year or so until we get the lay of the land but will most likely buy a home in new town .The sticker shock is not bad since we are coming from NJ and have been looking online for months to see what prices are. y questions are if we both 'QUIT' our jobs up north will we be able to find work in your fine town? We are not looking for the Metro area pay scales up here and understand we will be downsizing on everything from salary to home size to the number of autos and many other things but we feel it will be well worth the risk. We have both read many online resources but always like more information especially from locals. Also what is the flooding situation like? If we were to buy in new town on or close to ground level we most likely would not be able to afford flood insurance or self-insure (6’-7’ flood zones). Is it a big fear for locals or does Key West have a good sewer and pump system? I understand there will be tragedies like Wilma but that is rare (we hope). Thanks in advance for your help.

Cliff & Debbie

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
15,561 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: moving to key west?

Cliff, I can't help you with info but wanted to let you know you should probably send a PM (private message) to one of the local DE's here on the forums. TA will probably remove your post very soon as they only allow travel posts. Good luck in finding a great life in the keys. Hope you have been there in August and September for the hottest time of the year. If you can make it thru that you will make thru the rest!

Howell, NJ
Level Contributor
10 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: moving to key west?

what's a local DE?

Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
3,270 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: moving to key west?

If your post gets deleted, I'll be happy to try and answer your questions in a PM. Renting is a good idea, until you decide if you want to stay, and where you want to live. You'll be able to get some sort of a job or two. That shouldn't be a problem. Lots of opportunity down here to do something different. If you buy a home, you will probably be required to have flood and wind insurance, plus homeowners. It does no good to worry about hurricanes, so we take it as it comes and prepare when the time comes, and hope for the best. If you want to live in Key West, come and try it out. Good Luck!!!

Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
3,270 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: moving to key west?

DE is Destination Expert. Just a few other tips...save as much money as you can prior to coming down. A lot of people won't talk to you about a job until you actually have an address here. Also, try to move in the summer. This is the winter season now, and rentals are few and far between, because all the snow birds are in town. Places open up during the summer and rents are often cheaper.

5. Re: moving to key west?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2015, 06:22