We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marrero's Guest Mansion? Thought?

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
199 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Marrero's Guest Mansion? Thought?

Hi!

My husband and I are going to visit KW this August. We were there once on a Disney cruise with the kids a few years ago. Enough to know we wanted to go back WITHOUT the kids.

I dont want to stay at a hotel. My husband was looking at Pearl's , but I stumbled across Marrero's.

It sounds like a great place. Just what we're looking for. The reviews are for the most part very good.

Is it too good to be true? Or is Marrero's really that good?

Windsor, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Marrero's Guest Mansion? Thought?

We've stayed there multiple times so the answer is yes- it is that good.

Franktown, Colorado
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Marrero's Guest Mansion? Thought?

I stayed at Marrero's once and thought it was great. Our room was spacious, service was good and the pool was beautiful. Just be sure to read the fine print that tells you the pool area is clothing optional. We didn't realize that when we booked but it didn't really matter. It was still a great place to stay and I would return in an instant but my husband likes to try a new place every time we visit.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
617 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marrero's Guest Mansion? Thought?

I've stayed a few times and love it...location is great.

Level Contributor
288 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marrero's Guest Mansion? Thought?

The Wife and I are repeat offenders at Marrero's. Stayed there I don't know how many times now and it just keeps getting better. As was said the pool is clothing optional (with most choosing the option). Steve the host has an almost uncanny knowledge of KW. The location is perfect for going just about anywhere. We've stayed in rooms 12, 14, 16, and 20. 12 is poolside and great if you don't want to wear anything the entire time you're there. 14 also poolside is a bit bigger than 12. 20 is upstairs, is huge, with a full bathtub and king bed. 16 is small with a shared bathroom. Don't recommend 16 for a week but for a quick weekend getaway on the cheap its perfect. If you stay at Marrero's don't miss Happy Hour its a great way to meet the other guests and get info on restaurants and stuff to do. PM me if you'd like more info.

Edited: 12 March 2014, 04:23
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,052 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marrero's Guest Mansion? Thought?

I've stayed at Marrero's several times as well. Enjoyed our stays, but, the last time we were there, we found it impossible to get a lounger by the pool. It seems many people come to this place to simply be naked around the pool. Nothing wrong with that, except, there really aren't that many loungers. Those of us who just want to relax and read for a couple hours were out of luck.

In August, I'm guessing you won't have this problem. And, like I said, this was only a problem once, and, I've stayed there several times.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
435 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marrero's Guest Mansion? Thought?

We have stayed there several times, and enjoyed each stay. Yes, it is a GREAT place, as the reviews say. We are going to Key West the end of the month, but Marrero's was booked up...:( Make sure you make reservations well in advance............

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
660 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marrero's Guest Mansion? Thought?

The pool is TINY. We were looking forward to the clothing optional pool but it was so crowded and small that it was a turn off.

Palm Harbor, Florida
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Marrero's Guest Mansion? Thought?

My wife and I also went back to Key West after visiting on a cruise; we got lucky and found Marrero's on our first trip back. We’ve stayed at Marrero's for every return trip save one and try to get the pool cabana or poolside room. After staying elsewhere one time, we schedule our trips based on room availability at Marrero's. The location is perfect, you can walk anywhere you need to go and Steve is a perfect host and very knowledgeable about Key West, but the other folks that stay there are also great sources of information as most are repeat offenders. The pool can get crowded but I’ve never found that a problem, moreover, the people that stay at Marrero's are some of the nicest folks you’ll want to meet. Also remember; Clothing Optional means naked people – be prepared for that if it’s a new experience, and you’ll find Marrero's is the perfect place to stay in Key West.

Hints: do not be in a rush if you drive to Key West, the drive through the keys is enjoyable but two lanes for much of the trip so enjoy the scenery and take your time. If you are traveling from the North, Central or West coast of Florida consider the Key West Express ferry out of Ft Myers Beach. We have never been disappointed at any of the bars and restaurants on Duval Street, but for desert, try Better Than Sex and you will need a reservation. Also for a very special (but pricy) dinner, make a reservation at Latitudes at the Westin Hotel – it’s on Sunset Key and has tables on the beach that you can watch the sunset from. …you may want to steer clear of the dinner cruises in Key West, nice boat ride but box lunches for dinner

Hershey...
Level Contributor
223 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Marrero's Guest Mansion? Thought?

Kirsten, most pools at B&Bs, guest houses or rentals in KW are actually small including all the pools at places that are clothing optional. The only larger ones are at hotels and a handful of places at are "kid friendly"

In other words; it is what it is. As you may know, the beaches are not the best (rocky sand), so the pools are the place to be to cool off. You get to socialize better at pools anyway.

~Bob~

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Marrero's Guest Mansion? Thought?

Duddy65 - What other B&B's/Inn's besides Marrero's and Pilot House offer clothing optional at their pool's?