We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Totally Waterproof phone case?

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hartford...
Level Contributor
20 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Totally Waterproof phone case?

In search of a totally waterproof phone case for my Samsung gs3. Going snorkeling and want to take a few underwater pics, but don't want to ruin my phone in the process. Or if someone could recommend a good but cheap underwater camera (preferably w/ a memory slot) that would be helpful too!

Kent
Level Contributor
5,968 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Totally Waterproof phone case?

my daughter bought one on ebay for her iphone, don't know which one but it would of been cheap as she's backpacking in australia and she's used it lots of times snorkelling, it was one of the pouch type, and it works

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,081 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Totally Waterproof phone case?

Check the usual electronics retailers, online.

You can find decent deals on "tough" cameras from Nikon, Pentax, Panasonic, and Olympus. Consumer Reports will have ratings, as usual. They can make quite good photos.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
2,088 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Totally Waterproof phone case?

You can find disposable underwater cameras for about $15 at a variety of different places in Key West. Check out the CVS or Walgreens on Duval Street.

Edited: 08 April 2014, 13:04
Frozen North
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Totally Waterproof phone case?

Go here while you are in Key West, or order ahead of time.

diversdirect.com/scuba-dive/…

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Totally Waterproof phone case?

My friend has a waterproof case for his galaxy which he used while we were in KW. He uses it to take video underwater and just loves it.

Be sure you properly snap everything together as I recently lost an iphone from being in underwater case and snapping it together too quick and improperly.

Edited: 08 April 2014, 13:46
Wesley Chapel...
Level Contributor
586 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Totally Waterproof phone case?

Life Proof makes a waterproof case - safe to 6 feet or so and the cost between $80 and $90 dollars. Their website has them on sale right now for the Galaxy - 25% off. That being said, I would buy a camera, whether disposable or not, that is meant to be underwater rather than trusting that I correctly put the case on my very expensive phone.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
33,801 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Totally Waterproof phone case?

+1 for looking into a camera that is good for underwater use. Olympus makes a series named "Tough" that has a big and bright enough screen that taking underwater photos easy, and it's just as good out of the water is in.

Pjk

Hartford...
Level Contributor
20 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Totally Waterproof phone case?

Do you happen to know the brand or model of your friend's case?

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,648 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Totally Waterproof phone case?

We saw some nice ones recently at Diver's Direct in Key Largo. Still we won't take our iphones for snorkeling or diving. Too many times we see/hear of damage. It is cheap enough to buy the disposable underwater Kodak (cheap knockoffs are not good) if this is not something you do often. We have enjoyed our SeaLife mini camera on many trips.(Diver's Direct purchase). Under $300. We also like it for boating as it resists "splashes" and can be dropped on the deck without damage. Happens often when dolphin fishing gets heated! Great Pictures for the casual photographer!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,514 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Totally Waterproof phone case?

I got a durable waterproof bag from Dicapacusa for my digital cameras and last year got one for my GS3:

www.dicapacusa.com/ProductDetails.asp…

Make sure you take good care in sealing up the bag and leave a little bit of air in it. I first tried mine by squeezing out all the air and I couldn't use my touch screen controls very well! Always keep the strap around your neck.

I loved being able to listen to my music while snorkeling.

I used it off of South Beach in Key West:

…photobucket.com/albums/…5938_zpsc03d1598.jpg

Edited: 09 April 2014, 03:27