We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Key West - 6 Day Itinerary Suggestions

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dorset
Level Contributor
5 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Key West - 6 Day Itinerary Suggestions

Hi we are planning a 6 day trip to KW in early June. Family of 4 adults. We would be grateful for any advice on must do's or places to avoid. The current plan is a drive down from Miami, stay in a 3 bed property and fly out from KW to Texas for a second week. If possible would like to get on and under the water and soak up the uniqueness of the location - and of course we will need to be fed and watered. Any suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
12,696 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Key West - 6 Day Itinerary Suggestions

I'm guessing you are from the UK? My best suggestion is to stay the first night (if you are flying into Miami) at a hotel near the airport (we always use the Homewood Suites Blue Lagoon Drive) and start your trip down to the Keys the next morning. By the time you have cleared immigration (which I believe is taking hours at the moment?) and got your hire car it could be getting pretty late and you will probably all be tired. We always arrange to collect our car the following day.

On the drive down to Key West you could make a detour into the Everglades at Florida City at the start of Highway 1. The Anhinga Trail is well worth a visit IMHO and you are virtually guaranteed to see masses of gators, turtles, fish and birds. It is about a 20 minute drive off the main highway.

I'm sorry but I can't help with 3 bedroomed accommodation in Key West but I'm sure someone else will be able to.

Grand Rapids mi
Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Key West - 6 Day Itinerary Suggestions

I'll let others tell you their particular favs,,,,but here is my advice....plan ONLY 1 thing each day. you will discover so much about KW that you will love simply by "going with the flow". trust me on this one, I was the plan every minute type guy. once i adopted this approach, everything went much better !!!

De
Level Contributor
230 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Key West - 6 Day Itinerary Suggestions

Since you will be driving from Miami you should stop at Bahia Honda sate Park..it is beautiful.. the beaches the water ... amazing..mile marker 37 http://bahiahondapark.com/..... We have stayed at this condo three years in a row and absolutely love it...www.vrbo.com/230431 or if that does not work for you in all of my KW reserach I have found this website and have "almost" rented from them...u would want to stay at one of their places in Truman Annex as that is the absolute best location... http://www.rentmyparadise.com/indexkw.htm. We leave in 21 days so excited!!!

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,618 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Key West - 6 Day Itinerary Suggestions

You don't have enough time ;-)

From MIA, get on the toll road, avoid US 1 north of Florida City.

Take a side trip to Robert is Here for some wonderful fruits and veggies. If Lychees are in season when you're here, get some, you won't be sorry.

Spend a day - or at least some time - at Sombrero Beach in Marathon. It's arguably one of the nicest beaches in the keys.

Be sure to stop and take a walk on the Old 7 mile bridge in Marathon. You can see sharks, fish, turtles, birds, dolphins, and sometimes a manatee. It's a 2 mile walk to Pigeon Key. If you have time take the tour of Pigeon Key to soak in some of the history of the keys. Or better yet, take the ferry over, and walk back.

At the far end (from me) of the 7 mile bridge, take the first left. It's Veterans Park. A nice little rest stop with a nice sandy shallow beach. There is a boat on display, that 14 Cubans took over here from Cuba.

Bahia Honda is a wonderful spot. The nature walks and the old bridge are a sight to see up close.

That should take up 2 of your days, and you aren't even to Key West yet.

5. Re: Key West - 6 Day Itinerary Suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2015, 06:16