We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Key west

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Key west

Hi

Myself and my boyfriend are planning a trip to Florida this September from Ireland. We have two weeks in total. We are looking to fly into Orlando and spend 3/4 days checking out universal etc and then we want to rent a car and drive down to Miami for a few days and maybe catch a cruise for 3 days before flying back out of Orlando.

We are pretty easy going and ideally would like to have a few days in the theme parks in Orlando and then a couple of days Chilling in Miami and soakin up some of the nightlife. If we could take in a cruise for 2/3 days along the way that would be a bonus.... A few people have said key west would be just as nice though

I would really appreciate any tips or advice on this trip or even potential itineraries.

Many thanks

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,349 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Key west

I would choose Key West and the Keys over a cruise. Be on your own schedule, see the sights and relax. The Keys are a short drive from Miami, Key West is the end of the route and it's about 3 hrs from MIA.

We like spending time in South Beach Miami too - go there for your beach time.

Hershey...
Level Contributor
223 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Key west

If you like the beach and nightlife, then spend the time in Miami. If you think you might like the quaint atmosphere of a (primarily adult) beach town, with a relaxed feel, then try to spend a few days in Key West. It's worth the drive.

We flew into Miami last year on our vacation. We considered an overnight stay in Miami, day at the beach etc. Decided to bag the loud music, waiting in lines for dancing and went straight to KW. Stayed only for lunch in Miami Beach LOL Best choice ever - for us.

~Bob~

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
285 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Key west

Skip the cruise, and maybe even Miami. The Keys have so much to offer, you won't get bored.

Wesley Chapel...
Level Contributor
621 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Key west

Key West is way more laid back than Miami. You said you were looking to chill and nightlife, then Key West is the perfect place. While Miami has the beach, you can still soak up the sun relaxing by a pool in KW. Lots of nightlife choices too where you can just sit, enjoy drinks an listen to good live music. Keep in mind, you posted your question on the Key West forum so there will be the natural bias for the rock!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Key west

Thank you all for your tips and advice. I am starting to think Miami and then key west would be the perfect combination. Can I ask what there is to do in key west? Any must sees? Thanks

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,349 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Key west

But don't rush through the Keys to get to Key West - so much to see and enjoy on your way to and from. Check the top right column on here and on the Florida Keys column for ideas.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
15,576 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Key west

If you look at the top of the Key West forum page you will see "Things to Do". You should get a lot of ideas from there.

Wesley Chapel...
Level Contributor
621 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Key west

Being from Ireland, you can stop at the 4 Irish pubs and provide your expert opinion. The four are Finnegan's Wake, McConnell's Irish Pub, Irish Kevin's, and Shanna Key. I haven't been to Shanna Key, but I would rate the other 3 in the following order: Finnegan's, McConnell's, and Kevins.

Haughton, Louisiana
Level Contributor
174 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Key west

You can do jet skis, fishing charter, sunset cruise, spend all day or half day out on a sailboat kayaking and snorkeling, lots of bars, lots of good food, park your car rent bicycles, beaches, pool, Hemmingway house, butterfly place, etc,etc,etc!! You will never run out of things to do!

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,539 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Key west

You can, in Key West, ---> …shutterfly.com/media/…

And ---> …shutterfly.com/media/…

And cat nap ---> …shutterfly.com/media/…

Just for starters.

Pjk