We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do me a favor.....

Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,271 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Do me a favor.....

I am in Key West right now. Everywhere I go all I see are people walking around with their heads buried in their cell phones, totally oblivious to what is going on around them. Why didn't you just stay home if that is all you want to do here? PLEASE put your phones away until you are seated somewhere. It's beautiful here and you are missing it! Oh, and the light changed so you could cross, but you missed it.

Mentioned in this post
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Key West Full-Day Power Adventure...
95 Reviews
from US$145.00*
Key West Sunset Champagne and...
109 Reviews
from US$63.00*
Special Offer
Key West Day Trip
394 Reviews
from US$65.00*
US$75.00
columbus, in
Level Contributor
2,032 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do me a favor.....

Really, Randi? I don't remember seeing anyone on a cellphone a couple of weeks ago when we were there. Must be a strange crowd now. But, yeah, it reminds me of when we took our grandkids to Disney and instead of watching the fireworks, my grandson was texting his friends that he was at the fireworks, which he was totally missing out on. My wife told him to put that phone away and watch them until they were over instead of just talking about them or he might as well be with his friends hearing that they were going on.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
37,209 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do me a favor.....

Nobody using a cell while snorkeling or kayaking, but I notice you can buy a waterproof case for a cell.

Pjk

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
11,496 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do me a favor.....

I see people doing it all the time. I also see people at dinners all ignoring each other and staring at cell phones as well. I guess I'm old fashion, but I prefer real company and conversation, and to actually see the place I am visiting!

Fort Myers Beach...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
4,231 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do me a favor.....

Hi Randy, hope you are having a great time.

I guess I am like SDT and I hate seeing and LISTENING to everyone's conversation.

When I am Key West or any other vacation spot my cell stays in my room. If someone needs to get me they can leave a message and I will call them back when it's a good time for me to talk.

Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
415 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do me a favor.....

Isn't it sad that all of our "modern conveniences" have contributed to a belief that we have to be available at all times to all people? And create this hectic, stressful lifestyle that everyone seems to buy into? Isn't that why we all love the Keys so much?? To get away, slow the pace and stop that madness?? I can not imagine spending my hard earned vacation on a cell phone!! Unless it was hand's free, how could I hold my drinks and eat my oysters? :)

North Metro ATL, GA
Level Contributor
795 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do me a favor.....

Tangentially thread related -

I was at our City Pool, and noticed a group of 15 or so high schoolers gathered at one corner of the pool area. What was weird was that it was a deathly silent gathering - nobody was talking, they were all texting, very surreal.

Lockport, IL
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do me a favor.....

Funny, I heard a woman's entire family drama at Target the other day. I wanted to tell her to keep it down.

We try not to use our phones while in KW. It's just too much. Enjoy your trip!

Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,271 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do me a favor.....

Seriously, I was behind a group of people waiting for the light to change so we could cross, all on their phones. Not ONE of them noticed when it did change and the rest of us had to shoulder through them to cross the street. It was everywhere last night. I just don't understand what is so important that people are missing out on life. I'm tempted to walk down Duval sporadically dropping 20s just to see how many people will walk right by them!

Mentioned in this post
Duval Inn
Duval Inn
768 Reviews
Key West, FL
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,931 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do me a favor.....

you'd think the cell phone companies would be making a lot more money...

I have a cheap plan, so any call I'd make in the Keys would be long distance. It stays on airplane mode 90% of the time.

I do use my smart phone though... for taking photos and videos (even underwater!) and listening to music.

But I haven't got the patience to text on one of those devices.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
237 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do me a favor.....

I'll follow you around all day if you drop twenties! This time next year I'll have a phone around, but only for my family to reach me when they get into town. Otherwise it can sit in the condo on its own, while I go meet some new people!