We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

25th Wedding Anniversary

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
Level Contributor
99 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
25th Wedding Anniversary

We are planning our first trip to Key West December 2014 to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. We are looking for a hotel that is on or very close to the beach. We currently are looking at Casa Marina, I have however noticed some negative reviews. The most important feature for us is being close to the beach. We plan on flying into the airport at Key West and we will not have a car, which I hear is not needed. We are not against a B&B if it is one the water or very close to beach access. Any input for the experts would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,781 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 25th Wedding Anniversary

Casa has a 'beach', but the Keys in general don't have good beaches. What the Keys do have is a lot of beautiful waterfront. If you want big white beaches head elsewhere in FL. If you want pretty water - then the Keys. December might even be chilly for a beach day and you've put all your energy into finding a Keys beach. Casa Marina is GORGEOUS! It's a hard/sand and rock beach but you can walk out the dock and swim out there if the water isn't too cold for you. It's not really a good zero entry. It's still fairly shallow off the dock.

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
9,447 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 25th Wedding Anniversary

As already mentioned, we don't have great beaches. If that is your priority, you might better off looking at the west coast of Florida. Casa Marina does have beautiful grounds and is a great place to stay, but it is also not in the heart of Old Town and not really walking distance to many attractions. You need bikes or a car from there.

The Reach might be a good option. It has the best natural beach of any resort and is closer to lots of restaurants and attractions. It is about 1.5 miles from Mallory Square. The Pier House also has a tiny, but well kept beach and is right in the heart of the action.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,258 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 25th Wedding Anniversary

I absolutely love Casa Marina. We'll be staying there a few nights over Labor Day weekend and I'm really looking forward to it. The hotel and grounds are beautiful, as is the water there. The beach is OK, but I DREAM about lying in one of those hammocks on the beach again. I thought staying there for a couple nights last year would cure me of my fascination of Casa Marina, but it only gave me a taste of what's yet to come. ;) You might want to consider renting bikes, as Casa is kind of a long walk from lower Duval and Mallory Square and bikes will make it a lot easier to get around. I can't think of a better place to celebrate an anniversary.

Our anniversary is also in December and this will be the fourth year in a row we've celebrated it in Key West. As Blue said, it can sometimes get chilly. Mainly our experience had been mostly warm during the day (sleeveless tops and shorts) and a bit chilly at night (jeans and hoodies but as a Floridian, I get cold easily!) but that can vary. Last year it was pretty warm every night except our last night which was windy and cold.

The only B&B on the water is La Mer and Dewy House which is part of the Southernmost collection. Other hotels on the water in Key West are the Reach, Southernmost on the Beach, Westin (no beach), Ocean Key (no beach), Pier House and Hyatt Resort. Also timeshares on the water that rent by the night are Coconut Beach Resort, Hyatt Sunset Harbor (no beach) and Galleon. There are many other inns and B&Bs that are not on the water, but an easy walk or bike ride away. I'd still choose Casa Marina, if it were me.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
50 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 25th Wedding Anniversary

First, congratulations on 25 years!

Since you've heard about the beaches, I would consider the Marriott beachside.

It's on the water (on the gulf side) and it has an awesome pool with a great bar, and food. The hotel also boast a fantastic restaurant named Tavern N town plus you can rent bikes, kayaks, paddleboard, and jetskis, right at the hotel and they have a complimentary airport shuttle to take you to and from and another shuttle that takes you to downtown Duval street.

No need for a car.

Michigan
Level Contributor
99 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 25th Wedding Anniversary

thank you, I will look at that one....

Peterborough, Canada
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 25th Wedding Anniversary

I'm certainly no expert, as we have only been to key west once, ( last year) and stayed at the Le mer & Dewey house.

It certainly does not have a big lovely beach, but it does have a beach, we really enjoyed it there, so much that we have booked again this year for our 35th anniversary in October. If a beautiful beach is top priority. Then you may wish to look elsewhere, but if you want a great Relaxed time, wonderful food, bars, people, then key west is the place to go... We loveit there, only wish we could get there more often, but living 3000kms away makes it very difficult.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,781 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 25th Wedding Anniversary

Just to be clear - Beachside doesn't have a beach.

De
Level Contributor
250 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 25th Wedding Anniversary

Try this place and rent bikes to go to the Ft Zachary State Park.. . http://www.keywestbahamahouse.com/

I went in two of these units in May to check them out for our rental in April 2015 and absolutely loved them. Location is fabulous!!!

Michigan
Level Contributor
99 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 25th Wedding Anniversary

Will give it a look. Thanks

10. Re: 25th Wedding Anniversary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2015, 05:17