We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Part of Key West to stay in

London
Level Contributor
4 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Which Part of Key West to stay in

Hello

I'm visiting Key West in July with my 16 year old daughter. I've seen lots of great looking places to stay on Tripadvisor, but not sure which side of town to stay in. This will be the highlight of our road trip so we're looking for a neighborhood that really reflects Key West. What we don't want is anything too restorty with a whole load of mega hotels.

Any suggestions or advice would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Key West Catamaran Sailing and Water...
71 reviews
from US$145.00*
Key West Sunset Champagne and...
56 reviews
from US$63.00*
Special Offer
Key West Day Trip
378 reviews
from US$65.00*
US$75.00
Dry Tortugas National Park Day Trip...
44 reviews
from US$178.99*
Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,211 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Part of Key West to stay in

For a first trip I'd stay in old town in a B&B (if you don't want large), just check that they take 16 year old kids, some don't. Island City House is a nicely located all age B&B.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
36,123 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Part of Key West to stay in

If this comes across you can use it to locate hotels and B&B's in Key West. Clicking on a number will bring up it's name and a bit of information. Anything above the bottom line of the red triangle would be OK, even #'s 32 and 29, but not 35. And very generally, the closer to the Key West Bight the better, but there's not a lot of difference in terms of location between #'s 16 and 22, working from left to right.

hotelguides.com/district-maps/florida/map-ho…

Pjk

Northumberland...
Level Contributor
895 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Part of Key West to stay in

We loved it around the bight area. We stayed at the galleon resort and it was great.

London
Level Contributor
4 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Part of Key West to stay in

Hi, many thanks for replying. Just so I've got this right in my head. The Old Town is the south side of town. Right?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
410 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Part of Key West to stay in

Nice article in this morning's Key West Fishwrapper about a bit of boyfriend-girlfriend discord a the Marriott on Roosevelt (pretty much the eastern tip of the island). Seems he (age 41) wanted to stay in KW, while she (age 66) wanted to drive their Honda Civic back to Maryland. He, enraged, smashed her windshield with a... (you can see this coming, right?) ...beer cooler. No charges have been pressed.

Sigh. We usually stick to the western end of the island. Don't get me wrong -- KW is a pretty safe place, as resorts go. However, the western end of the island is just a LITTLE less stereotypical most of the time (not withstanding the cruise ship tourists in their cruise ship tourist uniforms).

London
Level Contributor
4 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Part of Key West to stay in

Hi, that's perfect, many thanks.

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,211 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Part of Key West to stay in

The south side is considered the quiet side of Old Town. Follow Duval to Green street, that's the more active side with more water sports, museums, restaurants, bars, etc.. I don't know which you'd be more comfortable in. There is more to do on the north side which is good and bad, good during the day but can get crowded and sometimes rowdy at night. I've never been there in July so can't say, but I suspect its less crowded than when we are usually there, so wouldn't be a problem. Your 16 year old can be in the bars to listen to music and eat up until 9pm.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Part of Key West to stay in

The South Side has some of the nicer clothing stores which might be of interest to a female teen - (fewer t-shirt & trinket shops that cater to the Cruiseships) . Also southside is nearer to beaches, Hemingway house, Butterfly Conservatory-- but then again, the island is small and walkable from northside to southside and you'll want to explore it all.

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
48 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Part of Key West to stay in

Old Town is basically everything south/west of White Street. South end of Duval has a few cheap motels, a few nicer resorts, and will generally be quieter. North end of Duval is loaded with bars and is up all night, also has a couple really nice resorts (Galleon, Hyatt, Ocean Key, Westin etc). B&B's are dotted all over old town and all are pretty much highly recommended. Keep in mind some of the smaller places cater to 'specific' clientele so do your research...

Take a sunset cruise, rent bikes and ride the side streets, have Sunday brunch at the Hot Tin Roof, enjoy dinner anywhere (it's all good), hit the beach at Ft Zach, ENJOY

Lewis Center, Ohio
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Part of Key West to stay in

Anywhere in Old Town avoid the major hotels Hyatt, Ramada etc. Look at Truman Inn, Silver Palms, Almond Tree Inn, Orchard Inn all are updated and newer inns.