We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need lunch advice for 7 women driving from ft Lauderdale?

Level Contributor
364 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Need lunch advice for 7 women driving from ft Lauderdale?

Driving from Ft Lauderdale to Key west this August. Flight gets in at 10:00 am. I am guessing we should be on the road around 11:00 am by the time we get luggage and pick up van. Since we will all be up around 4:30 am to catch flight, figuring we will be pretty hungry.

Any ideas where we should stop for our first lunch on vacay? We come in on a Sunday and staying in key west for 3 nights then going back up to Ft. Lauderdale for 2 more nights. By the water would be nice

thanks

Mentioned in this post
Fort Lauderdale
Fort Lauderdale
Broward County, FL
Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need lunch advice for 7 women driving from ft Lauderdale?

You can start by looking at the top right side of this page under "Top questions about Key West", there is a topic "Where should we stop to eat and what should we see on the drive to Key West?" Many good suggestions.

Mentioned in this post
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
172 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need lunch advice for 7 women driving from ft Lauderdale?

I'd recommend Islamorada (nice stopping point) and either Lazy Days or Morada Bay - both have great food & nice views. Enjoy your vacation!!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Morada Bay
Morada Bay
2,265 Reviews
Islamorada, FL
Islamorada
Islamorada
Florida Keys, FL
Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
16,640 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need lunch advice for 7 women driving from ft Lauderdale?

If you take Card Sound road (its an alternate route to US1 at the beginning of the keys) you will find Alabama Jacks. For many regulars to the keys this is a must do for the start of the Journey. I understand the conch fritters are really good there. We have stopped at the The Fish House in Key Largo for lunch on our way down and it was good. Key Lime pie there is excellent. You might want to look at and post on the Florida Keys forums for answers to things located outside of Key West. Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Key Lime Inn Key West
Key Lime Inn Key West
1,407 Reviews
Key West, FL
Alabama
Alabama
United States
Key Largo
Key Largo
Florida Keys, FL
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Orlando
Level Contributor
11,058 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need lunch advice for 7 women driving from ft Lauderdale?

They do have very good breading for the Conch Fritters, but very little Conch. Everything else was pretty good, and the service I thought was good too.

I was there twice (once on the way down, and once on the way back). It is a nice location with a river/type canal running next to it. I got there once before opening, and they let me order drinks from the bar before the kitchen opened. I was there at opening on the way back. If you don't get there early on the weekend, it gets crowded very quickly.

I was told that Card Sound is much less stressful than the madness on US 1 , and I was told correctly.

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,359 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need lunch advice for 7 women driving from ft Lauderdale?

I was going to suggest Morada Bay and Lazy Days as well. Both have exceptional views and you can dine with your toes in the sand if you choose. Morada Bay serves some of the best iced tea I've ever tasted in mason jars and gives you delicious and fresh house-made salsa and chips while you wait for your lunch. The sandwiches are delicious and can be split- I always take half home. Lazy Days has delicious food and their fish prepared Lazy Days Style is outstanding. Their house made tomato basil salad dressing is to die for.

You can't go wrong with either of these two restaurants.

Orlando
Level Contributor
11,058 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need lunch advice for 7 women driving from ft Lauderdale?

Also, I was going to stop at Robbie's on the way down. That place looked crazy busy with cars lined all the way up and down the access road in the afternoon.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
93 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need lunch advice for 7 women driving from ft Lauderdale?

I second Alabama jacks! It is the quintessential perfect place to start your trip down to KW. Good food, atmosphere and friendly staff, can't go wrong! The fritters are good but my personal favorite is the blackened mahi sanguich!

Mentioned in this post
Alabama
Alabama
United States
TMR
Florida
Level Contributor
137 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need lunch advice for 7 women driving from ft Lauderdale?

My vote is for Morada Bay or Lazy Days, although my personal favorite is Morada Bay. The food is delicious, amazing fish sandwiches, fun tropical drinks and great iced tea! You are right on the beach, "toes in the sand" as someone else mentioned, and you will feel as if your vacation has started as soon as you arrive!

Cape Canaveral...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,593 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need lunch advice for 7 women driving from ft Lauderdale?

Although I liked the atmosphere at Alabama Jack's, I thought the food was just OK. My husband was less than impressed with his conch fritters though. My preference would be to stop at Sparky's Landing in Key Colony Beach, but that may be because I'm in love with the queso. :)

http://www.sparkyslanding.com

The Villages...
Level Contributor
138 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Need lunch advice for 7 women driving from ft Lauderdale?

Sparky's Landing for the fish tacos and the gratinee. In Key Colony Beach on the water. Alabama Jacks for lunch on the way north.

Mentioned in this post
Alabama
Alabama
United States