We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help tailor an itinerary for me!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
510 posts
Save Topic
Please help tailor an itinerary for me!

Hi all,

Firstly, please forgive me for my laziness in researching Key West thoroughly for myself, however, my husband and I are about to embark on an epic 7 week, 12 stop trip of a lifetime around America in a few weeks time and I am feeling a tad overwhelmed by it all!

I would love some suggestions on things to do/ places to go in Key West for people like us.

A bit of info on us below:-

- In our early 30's (no kids)

- Staying at the Southernmost Hotel for 3 days in August

- Love ALL things tiki - tiki bars/ nautical/ tropical themed bars and restaurants

- Are vegan (but not fussy - happy to eat fries or adapt meals)

- Love animals and marine life, sea activities

- REALLY love a good cocktail (especially if it's by the ocean)

- Love to explore new places and try new things

- Hubby is a photographer and loves to be inspired on his travels

Any suggestions/ tips would be sincerely appreciated! Thank you!!

Edited: 03 July 2014, 02:53
Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
36,099 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help tailor an itinerary for me!

One of my favorite places in Key West for a drink by the water, either late in the afternoon or early evening, is the Tiki bar at the Ocean Key Resort, 0 Duval Street. They have live music and the bar-tenders there make great drinks, and at night you can catch a sunset and watch the sunset sail boats going out.

Across Duval from here is the Pier House at 1 Duval. They have a beach-side on their small beach where you can have a drink and one of their salads, even putting your feet in the ocean.

At the end of Simonton they have put the finishing touches on a small, but nice, public beach which now includes a bar, Lagerhead's, where you can sit just off the beach with a drink and maybe fish tacos.

Next, working east, there's the tiki bar at the Galleon Resort. You walk to the end of Front Street, make a left to get around to the front of the Galleon, then keep walking around till you see it. Another good place for a drink and sunset.

And one bar in particular at the Bight, Turtle Kraals, where you can sit up at their Tower Bar and enjoy a sunset.

More places than days!

Pjk

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
36,099 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help tailor an itinerary for me!

And of you can afford a nice private charter on a sailboat for some snorkeling and photos, look at Breezin' ---> http://breezincharters.com/

Captain Dees is vegan, too.

Pjk

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,592 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help tailor an itinerary for me!

Are you going to be driving to Key West or flying straight in?

columbus, in
Level Contributor
2,032 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help tailor an itinerary for me!

For drinks on the water, don't miss Louie's Backyard's Afterdeck, and for some entertainment with your drinks: Schooner Wharf Bar.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
16,316 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help tailor an itinerary for me!

We like the Southernmost Beach Café which is just over the road from the Southernmost Hotel and on the beach!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
510 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help tailor an itinerary for me!

You guys are awesome, thank you! These suggestions are perfect.

We're driving to KW from Miami, so we'll definitely check out the Holiday Isle Tiki Bar on the way. After Key West, we're spending 3 nights in Miami followed by 4 nights in Fort Lauderdale - so if anyone has any suggestions for these stops as well, I'd love to hear them!

Thanks again everyone!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
9,057 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help tailor an itinerary for me!

>>We're driving to KW from Miami,<<

Do you know about the cashless toll system and the admin fee that the car rental companies charge if you use their automatic toll paying feature? If not, read here: www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

New Jersey
Level Contributor
510 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help tailor an itinerary for me!

Check out my latest entry on my blog for some ideas... Great photography can be found just by walking off the main drag of Duval.... We are headed back next week for a short trip. Be careful you may catch Keys Disease like my husband and I did back in 2006... Have been going back ever since! www.susannj.com

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
11 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please help tailor an itinerary for me!

Some dining options are The Cafe on Southard or Help Yourself.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
510 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Please help tailor an itinerary for me!

I did not know about the cashless toll system AhHah - thanks for the heads up! We'll talk to our rental company about it when we pick up the car.

NJSusan-7 - GREAT BLOG! Thank you for sharing!

kblazydays - thank you so much for the dining suggestions - I have added these to the list!