We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The weather in Key West

Banbury, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
The weather in Key West

We are heading towards Key West on 21 July for the first time for 3 nights. Looking at the weather it basically says sunshine and showers and 32 degrees all day every day! From a Brits perspective I'm hoping that this weather isn't the same as we get at home, ie when it rains, it rains all day and everything is grey! Is the weather in KW tropical, as in short sharp showers and then the blue sky returns? Is it sunbathing weather? I haven't booked a hotel yet so that'll be my next post!

Thanks all

Louise

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
10,132 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The weather in Key West

This is the rainy season, so it is possible for a couple wet days, especially if we get a tropical system in the area.

More typically, we may get some rain for an hour or two, followed by sun and hot, humid weather. Unless there is a significant storm in the area, you are likely to get plenty of sun.

Don't worry about forecasts. They are not very accurate here more then a couple days out.

Lockport, IL
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The weather in Key West

Like any place, it can differ from year to year also. We are here now, and it has been very hot and humid with very little rain at all. Last year during the same time it was windy and rainy almost everyday. Don't rely on the weather forecasts, they are usually wrong. Just come and enjoy yourself. Key West is fun no matter what the weather!

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,997 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The weather in Key West

July 21 is too far away to get any kind of accurate weather forecast. Sometimes 12 hours is too far out. Check the 10 day forecast 10 days before you leave, then every day from then, and watch it change.

Pjk

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
14,954 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The weather in Key West

You will be in the Keys during Hurricane Season! I hope you get good weather.

Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
3,240 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The weather in Key West

It may rain a little, or more if there is a tropical system, but it's warm rain, and won't spoil your vacation. You'll also have lots of sun!! Enjoy!!

Banbury, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The weather in Key West

Thanks everyone!

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,997 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The weather in Key West

I get there on the 19th. I'll give you an on the spot update.

Pjk

Banbury, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The weather in Key West

Brilliant, thank you!

Cape Canaveral...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,447 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The weather in Key West

Hey Sparkle, love your name. We've been in Key West a week now and for the most part the weather has been hot and sunny. There have been a few showers but it's usually while we're napping or overnight. We have been here a few times (especially in May and early July last year) that have been VERY rainy. That hasn't been the case yet this year. Hopefully you'll have the sunny weather you want, but I'm willing to bet you'll have fun anyway!

Ponte Vedra Beach...
Level Contributor
93 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The weather in Key West

90+ temps and humid in Key West in July, the summer thunderstorms are unpredictable but usually no big deal cause they past thru quickly, hurricanes are also unpredictable and that would be the worst case scenario for anyone on a vaca...Im a Florida resident and dont worry too much about hurricanes..unless of course the hurricane is headed in my direction :^)