We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling Solo to Key West

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Queensbury, New York
4 posts
Save Topic
Traveling Solo to Key West

I've been unemployed for 3 + years. Ever since my being let go, I've dreamed of going to Key West. My brother would go with me, but I think I'd enjoy it more alone. I've travelled alone and don't like it at all. It seems like the 'wild and crazy' part of my brain takes over and the 'sensible" side interveens to remind me how miserable I'll be.

I'd really love to go. I won't even think about it yet.

Thank you,

Brendan

1. Re: Traveling Solo to Key West

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 20 July 2014, 14:33
Edited: 20 July 2014, 14:33
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
285 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling Solo to Key West

No offense, but how do you plan to get the cash for a trip to Key West? Accommodations aren't cheap...neither is food, drinks, and entertainment. Maybe wait until you've found work and take a trip as a celebration?

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,159 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling Solo to Key West

I can't decide whether you're asking to be convinced to go or not to go.

Pjk

Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling Solo to Key West

And your questions is...????

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
2,254 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling Solo to Key West

Have you ever BEEN to Key West? I recently did my first ever solo trip, but my husband and I used to go several times a year; I know the island quite well so I knew how to get around and where to go. Still, there were times when I was very lonely. My own personal opinion, and that is all that it is, an opinion, is that this would be a very bad idea. And as another poster pointed out, Key West is not for those with a timid wallet. Everything is quite expensive.

Queensbury, New York
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling Solo to Key West

Did I give the impression that I'm destitute? I'm not. I'd love to travel. I may bring my old girl friend. thanks for your help. Thangs aren't so good these days. My marriage is ending and I'm not in the mood for anything these days.

Sincerely,

Brendan

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,946 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling Solo to Key West

LOL @ anyone presuming that out-of-work means dead broke

I myself am traveling solo to KW in just a few weeks (have visitors coming later in week) and am very much looking forward to my time alone in KW to do all the things I love to do

KW is e kind of place where you can strike up a conversation with so many friendly people, not knowing who they are

You can bike ride, swim, snorkel, paddle board- quite a myriad of activities and something for everyone

You can take in some history if you like or just sit somewhere and watch the day go by

Hope a trip to KW is just what you need

Altoona...
Level Contributor
448 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling Solo to Key West

I always go to Key West with friends who live in Vero Beach. I usually go down a day or two before they get there and leave a day or two after them. I am used to spending a lot of time alone so it doesn't bother me to be alone in Key West. I can always find a place to go where the beer is cold and the music is great. I don't see any reason why the OP shouldn't go alone.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
2,168 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling Solo to Key West

Brendan, whether your brother goes with you, or you decide to go alone, you will have an awesome time. There will be no shortage of people to interact with and potential friendships to me made. After a short time, you won't even feel like you're alone on the island. Key West is awesome like that. If it's been a dream to go, then don't even think about it. Just do it!

Edited: 22 July 2014, 13:23
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
257 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveling Solo to Key West

I try to make it to KW every year and I always go alone. Traveling solo, I do what I want, when I want without having to coordinate with others. Saves me a lot of money not traveling with girlfriends too. Over time, I've made friends with locals and now have people to visit when I get bored with myself. Living in the heart of New York City, alone time is important to me, but I still need nightlife close at hand when I crave it.