We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lots of construction at hotels - how about Ocean Key ?

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
Level Contributor
105 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Lots of construction at hotels - how about Ocean Key ?

We are going down to Key West in a couple of weeks and we're planning on staying at the Pier House until I read on here about the construction. So I canceled our reservations. While looking for another place to stay I noticed the La Concha and the Westin both seem to have construction going on right now. Does Ocean Key also have some type of construction going on?

Just a side note I would love to stay at a B&B or Inn instead of one of the big hotels but we need a decent cancelation policy since we're on the coast and trip insurance doesn't cover if you can't travel due to a storm heading toward your house.

Thanks

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
9,310 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lots of construction at hotels - how about Ocean Key ?

I don't think there is any construction at Ocean Key, but I would call and ask in case there is a project planned when you will be here. You might check La Mer and Dewey House. These B&Bs are part of The Southernmost Resorts, and used to have a more liberal cancellation policy, but I have not checked lately.

Corolla, North...
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lots of construction at hotels - how about Ocean Key ?

We stayed at Southernmost on the Beach one year in Sept and we had the same issue since we're on the NC coast. They had a 10 day cancellation policy so we felt at least in 10 days we would know if something was brewing out there! I did find one travel insurance company (either CSA or Travelguard) that would cover a cancellation if you had to be back at your place of work due to the storm. It's unfortunate that they don't cover your personal residence. And we totally lucked out-it was a quiet Sept that year!

Edited: 31 July 2014, 18:00
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lots of construction at hotels - how about Ocean Key ?

Can you point me to the thread about construction at Pier House. Was just there the first of June for 10 days and there wasn't any. We are booked again in Feb 2015 so I would like to understand more about what is going on. I search the forum and saw post from 2007/8 but that was about it.

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
9,310 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lots of construction at hotels - how about Ocean Key ?

In one of Pjk's recent posts, he mentioned they are doing some or planning some. I'm sure he will post here and clarify. If it were me, I would call the hotel directly with your dates and ask them.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
33,968 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lots of construction at hotels - how about Ocean Key ?

---> tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g34345-i53-k765401…

I get the impression that it's about a two month project so February should easily be safe. If I hear more I'll post in a separate thread.

Pjk

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lots of construction at hotels - how about Ocean Key ?

Thanks PJK! Indeed sounds like it will be done by Feb unless they increase scope :>).

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
33,968 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lots of construction at hotels - how about Ocean Key ?

Latest word is for everything to be compete sometime in October, but this is subject to change.

Pjk

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lots of construction at hotels - how about Ocean Key ?

Ocean Key construction is Sept-Oct. Concrete work which involves jack hammering. They just called me to let me know because I had a reservation for that timeframe. All amenities are open and they say it will only be 9:30-4:30 mon-fri. Now not so sure I want to stay there and may be too late to get a nice ocean view room elsewhere. Of course the only 2 places (ocean key or Pier House) I wanted to stay at are both having construction when I am going...

Edited: 18 August 2014, 19:20
Hershey,PA
Level Contributor
127 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lots of construction at hotels - how about Ocean Key ?

So...I know this thread asked about Ocean Key, but I'm staying at Pier House in September--booked a harborview room. Do I need to call/be concerned about this construction?

I booked this in February as a 20th anniversary trip, and to be blunt I'm not going to be happy if I have to worry/deal with construction issues the entire week.

Edited: 18 August 2014, 20:01
Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,681 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lots of construction at hotels - how about Ocean Key ?

I would call the hotel!

Lots of places in the Keys get projects done in late Aug thru September. It's a slower time. February isn't so slow so if they are doing work at that time something REALLY had to be done.