We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Key West Restaurants not Pet Friendly

1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Key West Restaurants not Pet Friendly

My wife and I stayed in Key West and found the majority of restaurants not Pet Friendly despite what we had heard.We were not allowed to sit in the outside seating areas and 90 percent of the shops would not allow us to even carry him in. (he's well behaved and 12 lbs) Key West has changed over the years. There is a huge public/housing authority complex with less than desirable people wandering around. In the Starbucks a vagrant was taking his morning bath and I had to wait for the smell to dissipate before I could go in. Downtown Duval Street was a mix of low income and tattooed rug rats. Overall I would recommend saving your gas and going somewhere else.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
813 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Key West Restaurants not Pet Friendly

You must have been in a different Key West than the one in Florida that I visited last week as it was no match for your description. Starbucks and any other national chains are a great place for the vagrants to hang out. That way, I'll never see them.

conn
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Key West Restaurants not Pet Friendly

I was there a couple of years ago and don't remember any huge public housing complexes. Loved KW so much I've planned another trip this year.

Edited: 14 August 2014, 00:11
Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,184 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Key West Restaurants not Pet Friendly

Leaves more space for me ;) Sorry it wasn't what you were expecting.

Deception Island
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Key West Restaurants not Pet Friendly

Wrong forum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_West,_Iowa

But on a serious note if you would of asked here in this forum you would of had armed yourself with some good information on where you could go with the pooch. It's a health dept. rule not just a Key West thing, and with that said Key West has done what they could to allow it in a few places and it involves some hoops for the restaurants to jump through so it is a limited number of places but a few do exist.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,148 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Key West Restaurants not Pet Friendly

"There is a huge public/housing authority complex with less than desirable people wandering around"

Probably the new hotel at the bight. Doesn't bode well.

Pjk

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,069 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Key West Restaurants not Pet Friendly

Feed the troll

Lake Orion, Michigan
Level Contributor
147 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Key West Restaurants not Pet Friendly

That sure as heck don't look like a 12 lbs. dog.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Key West Restaurants not Pet Friendly

I'm so surprised by your experience with your dog. We were there this past Spring and back in 2012 with our furry buddy and were able to sit outside at many restaurants including Salute, Blue Heaven, Sarabeth's, Azur, Black Fin Bistro, Hogfish Bar & Grill, Six Toed Cat and Pepe's to name a few. Chico was also invited into several stores. I'm sorry your experience wasn't what you expected.

Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Key West Restaurants not Pet Friendly

Please define "less than desirable". Yes, there are a couple of public housing complexes, but I have never, ever been bothered by anyone that lives there. I've walked by many, day and night, and the people there have never been anything but polite to me. The only people who have ever approached me were in the Duval area and they were mostly homeless panhandlers. However, that has been rare. And quite frankly, when I am shopping or eating out, I don't want to deal with people's dogs; it's a health, safety and noise issue. I live in NE Ohio and they don't allow dogs into establishments here, so why should they allow it in Key West.? Just because you love your precious little bundle doesn't mean the rest of us do.. I love dogs, but they do not belong every single place you go. Sorry, but you sound a little too judgmental for my taste.

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,314 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Key West Restaurants not Pet Friendly

If there was a "like" button, I would hit it a couple of times for Randi's post . . . Well said!:)