We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August trip report -Day 3 and 4

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
Level Contributor
65 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
August trip report -Day 3 and 4

Did some sightseeing and took advantage of the discounts offered for the weekend museum pass.

Truman's Little White House - (air conditioned, stairs, no strollers allowed). The tour was about 45 minutes long and boring for me personally. I think we were the youngest people in our group by about 40 years :) Nice staff though.

We ducked into the Clinton Mall (like an air conditioned tourist shopping plaza, not really a mall) and walked around Mallory Square. Had Cuban food for lunch at El Meson de Pepe. decent food, large portions, nice waitress, but not the authentic feel I was hoping for.

Took Little Man to the aquarium hoping he could cool off, but this was open air also. The majority of bars, restaurants, and attractions don't have A/C here, it seems like just the shopping areas do.

Headed back to the condo to cool off, and grilled steaks for dinner. The other adults went to happy hour while I put the baby to bed, and could not stop talking about the jazz flutist at Schooner Wharf Bar. Said he reminded them of Ron Burgundy.

Monday, we got up early to beat the heat and trekked over to Ernest Hemingway House (stairs, no AC) and Southernmost Point. Enjoyed the architecture of Hemingway House and all the cats lounging around - what a life they must live :) A cruise ship was in port and there was already a line for photos at southernmost point.

Made a pit stop at DJ's Clam Shack on Duval St on the way home. A bit expensive for a carry out lunch ($32 for two lobster rolls only), but it was stuffed with lobster and oh so good. I'd return if there weren't so many other places to try.

Decided to cool off in the pool for a bit, our little guy is such a water baby and loved it. Another dinner at home - grilled chicken kabobs from Publix. After baby bedtime, we returned to Smokin Tuna and Willie T's. I used a BOGO coupon from some brochure at willie T's and we got 2 mojitos and two beers for $18 plus tip. Duval on Monday is so much quieter than the weekend.

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,471 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: August trip report -Day 3 and 4

We love the lobster rolls!

Florida
Level Contributor
65 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: August trip report -Day 3 and 4

I forgot that we went out for an early happy hour. Stopped by Kelly's for me, so I could try one of their key lime margaritas. The rest of our group tried their microbrews - I think they only had 3, but they were like $2 during HH. You could only get HH pricing at the bar, and it was warm in there.

Next, we headed over to World of Beer. This is a chain we have at home, but my husband loves this place. Their HH was $3 off most craft beers and half off apps. I had a vanilla porter, then I was done for the evening as I was the designated stroller driver :) The other adults enjoyed quite a few of their craft beers.

While they were finishing up, I took Little Man next door to the Key Lime Lie Company so I could try a slice. It was good but something tasted off with the crust. I grabbed a chocolate dipped slice for my husband too.

Where is everyone's favorite place for key lime pie?

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,471 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: August trip report -Day 3 and 4

I like Kermit's, they have a cute little cafe off their shop on Greene, definitely worth a visit.

Edited: 27 August 2014, 22:03
conn
Level Contributor
1,493 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: August trip report -Day 3 and 4

Spent $19 for one lobster roll on Cape Cod last week, when I'm down in a few weeks I now know where I can get a bargain lobster roll.

5. Re: August trip report -Day 3 and 4

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2015, 06:15