We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Key Largo or Marathon?

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
260 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Key Largo or Marathon?

Which would you choose?

4 adults, 2 kids, 11 & 13. Interested in fishing, snorkeling, nature. Restaurants not important. Week between Christmas & New Years.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
14,159 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Key Largo or Marathon?

You might want to post this on the Florida Keys forum. There is also a lot of good info there. I would start looking to see what may be available too as the keys book up quickly for the holidays. Most places will have a minimum amount of nights stay also. I would look at Islamorada or Marathon to be centrally located in the keys. Hope the weather is warm enough for snorkeling, you may need to rent wetsuits at that time of year.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,900 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Key Largo or Marathon?

I would stay wherever you can find accommodations you like at this point. Busiest week of the year. And yes, try the Florida Keys forum. Key West is an hour away from Marathon and about two from Key Largo and worlds apart.

Regardless of where you stay - do try the snorkeling at Florida Keys Aquarium Encounters in Marathon! The kids can hand feed the sharks and swim with rays etc.

If you're looking for a vacation rental/home - I'm not positive but I think you need more then a week in Key Largo? One of the Key Largo DE's will know for sure. Key Colony Beach has a lot of places to rent for a week. Available this late in the game? ehhh, don't know but worth a look.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
260 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Key Largo or Marathon?

Thanks. We are booking any minute, in the final decision stage. Leaning toward marathon. We know it might be cold! Is one better than the other if it's only 60*?

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,900 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Key Largo or Marathon?

No. Not really.

It could also be very warm. Its a coin toss as to warm or chilly. The chilly weather usually only lasts a day or two. Usually.....

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,547 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Key Largo or Marathon?

Marathon might be better for you, as it's close enough to Bahia Honda for you to make daily trips.

Key Largo could be fine if restaurants are not important.

You might want to include Islamorada in your search.

Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
362 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Key Largo or Marathon?

I agree that you should look at and consider Islamorada. I usually stay there on the way down to Key West and there are great places to stay and eat. I've always thought it would be a great destination in itself. There are many resorts that offer water sports and it's close to a lot of attractions.

7. Re: Key Largo or Marathon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2015, 06:16