We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for this weekend

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Itinerary for this weekend

Headed down to Key West this this weekend, for the first time in about 10 years. Can't wait.

Staying at The Gardens Hotel, based on reviews, it should be nice.

I'm not familiar with restaurants, but have a reservation for Hot Tin Roof Friday night after the sunset, and was thinking about Cafe Sole for Saturday night. I am open to suggestions.

I need a good breakfast location for Sat., thinking about Blue Heaven, and also a Sunday Brunch location.

Thanks!

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
33,802 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for this weekend

IMO if you do nothing else for brunch go to either

Martin's Cafe on Applerauth between Duval and Whitehead. They start serving at 10:00 and I've never seen a need for a reservation. Try their Black Forest open faced breakfast or their eggs Benedict. Only down-side is no Bloody Mary's. Beer, wine or Orange Blossums. They only serve brunch on Sunday.

Or the Rooftop Cafe on Front Street. It's on the 2nd floor and they start at 9:30. They serve an Eggs Benedict which has a crab & shrimp cake instead of meat and it is outstanding. They have a medium sized veranda so you can be out-sitting. (You might try this for a dinner).

Blue Heaven is great for breakfast, but Croissants de France on Duval has just re-opened and has always been good. But you might want to go over to the Key West Bight and eat at Turtle Kraals overlooking the harbor.

Pjk.

minneapolis
Level Contributor
1,511 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for this weekend

La Te Da has a great champange Sunday brunch. Outdoors, white linen, etc, but it's not expensive. Jack Flats has great deals for lunch, and don't forget White Tarpon for martinis.

Have fun!!!!!!!

Milw, WI
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary for this weekend

Isn't Blue Heaven closed for vacation right now?

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary for this weekend

Thanks for the suggestions. I hope Blue Heaven isn't closed. Are there any places to eat by Smathers Beach? Looking for lunch, since we will be there during the day.

Also has anyone eaten at Cafe Sole?

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
4,604 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary for this weekend

One of the neat things about Smathers Beach is that there are several vendors that 'drive their business' to the beach. I've had some great pizza and sandwiches out of these vehicles. There's also usually ice cream and other fun beach food.

I hope that this guy is still there... Honestly, I had the very best glass of fresh squeezed lemonade out of one of them... Now, mind you, this was three years ago and I'm still talking about it. (And it didn't even have any alcohol in it!) He was parked across from the Sheritan Suites. Go for it! It'll be a cool break from the more recommended eateries!

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
33,802 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary for this weekend

Not Smathers but if you walk west to Bertha Street, make a right, then left one block onto Atlantic Blvd to Higgs Beach, there is Salut! which has a small patio facing the ocean. I was there once and their drinks are somewhat expensive but their Italian appitizers were very good - one sauted mussel dish and one conch in marinara sauce. Very pleasant on a warm evening. It would take about 15 minutes to walk but Atlanic Blvd is not exactly sceneic.

Pjk

Key West, FL
Level Contributor
813 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary for this weekend

Blue Heaven is closed until mid-October.

arkansas
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary for this weekend

Near Smathers Beach is Louie's Backyard. Wonderful, but we prefer it for lunch rather than dinner, when the food is the same, but prices triple.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,164 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary for this weekend

Dessa, do you remember how much the champagne brunch was?

key west
Level Contributor
6,101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary for this weekend

dalsti,

The Gardens is a fabulous, elegant place to stay. Good choice. A certain "Batman" I'm friends with may be there...who knows?

When you go to HTRoof, please try (if you cocktail) a watermelon martini. They have a french glass gizmo that extracts watermelon juice over 3 days and they combine it with top shelf watermelon vodka and they are truly wonderful. It's quiet and dark there...they even give you little squeeze lights to read the menu!

Enjoy your stay!