We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Key West alone

us
2 posts
Save Topic
Key West alone

hi! I've seen this issue come up a little on this board, but I'm curious if anyone had more advice for me. I'm going to just drive down to Key west by myself, a lone female, for a couple days. what places are good to hang out at solo? Are there any places to avoid? Are there any tourist sorts of things that you could do by yourself? what about the night scene or restaurants? I'm pretty independent, but I just don't want to be surrounded the whole time by honeymooners and loud families!

Key Lime Bike Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bike Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Lost Reef Adventures
Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Water Sports, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Key West Water Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Equipment Hire, Waterskiing & Jetskiing
Up The Keys
Sightseeing Tours, Eco Tours
Key West, FL
Level Contributor
813 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Key West alone

I wouldn't say there's specifically any place to avoid. I have the avoidance thing, with regard to families, down to a science. The best thing about Key West is that because there are so many things so close together, that if a place looks like the Honeymoon Suite or Romper Room, you can just move on to the next. This is also an appeal of Key West - you can make it what you want.

The first place I would recommend (any day!) is Schooner Wharf Bar during the day or night. There usually aren't too many families in there, there's almost always live music, and there are lots of nice locals there. The bartenders will learn your name, and you're right on the water.

Hog's Breath has great energy at night, IMO, and is a great place for singles.

Mallory Square sunset to watch the oddities. Not the sunset cruises. Sunset cruises tend to attract the "couples" crowd, although I have seen more and more kids on them lately. Either way, you're not trying to be with all that. I would stake out a place at the square on a non-weekend day, if possible. Defintiely not the snorkel cruises - full of ankle-biters and honeymooers off the cruise ships.

If you're going to do things that might attract kiddies, do them first thing. Like be at Butterfly Museum or aquarium when it opens. Most families can't get out the door that fast in the morning, so you can get in, take your time and enjoy yourself before it turns crazy. That goes for the Pirate Soul museum, Hemingway House, lighthouse... do it early!

For some reason, Turtle Kraals has been Romper Room lately, so we haven't been there as much. Disappointing bc I really like it. We've had to request to move tables the past 2 or 3 times we went because of loud families. Oh well... like I said, we just moved on.

I would highly recommend a pub crawl... you'll meet some other people and there won't be many families.

Anyone else... it's early and my brain hurts...

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,783 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Key West alone

I've been going down by myself for the last several years and there is nothing I don't do just because I am alone, whether it's a snorkel trip, breakfast or dinner somewhere, just drinks, etc. There is always something to see, a place to walk to or hang out at, and people to strike up conversations with, if you want to.

Pjk

minneapolis
Level Contributor
1,511 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Key West alone

I find that anywhere you go, the locals are always ready to entertain you with conversation. The little raw bar at Hoggsbreath is a great place to find interesting people, along with Captain Tony's. Try Sunset Pier, Rum Barrel (upstairs for band), Conch Republic and SWB. For restaurants, just eat at the bar and see who sits next to you. Or grab a table close to the street and see who joins you. We've never been bugged by families or honeymooners. Try to hook up with people on their anniversary--they are ready to party. Kelly's and Green Parrot are also a good places to hang single. The bartenders will occupy you until someone else stops by. Both bars are a lot of fun. As for snorkeling, ghost tour or conch train---you'll be fine alone. I would think you'd be able to meet MORE people by being single. Only cool people will talk to you anyway, so you should have a blast!!!

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Key West alone

Last time we were in Key West a local recommended a bar near The Schooner Wharf bar which I think was called VFW it was a real locals place, full of characters, no kids and both the bar staff and the locals were very friendly towards us. Another similar place which has be revamped is The Bottle Cap Bar very friendly staff and local clientele. I can't really think of any bar in Key West that I wouldn't feel comfortable going into on my own. Oh I nearly forgot the Bull that's another friendly bar but beware the Garden of Eden upstairs is a clothing optional bar.

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,198 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Key West alone

I think the only thing I would feel uncomfortable with would be walking home at night (and that would apply to just about any town). Try to stay close in old town, maybe the Westin, Pier House or Key West Horbor Inn so you don't have far to go alone.

Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
447 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Key West alone

When are you going Hannah, we will be there in April, you are more than welcome to join us at anytime. Just 2 of us, no children!

us
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Key West alone

Oh my, thank you so much for all of your comments! They have so many great suggestions, and now I just can't wait for my trip! I've travelled all over Europe alone, so it's odd that I would be nervous about doing it in the US, but from what you say about Key West, I think it will be a great place to hang out solo!

Can anyone recommend a good snorkelling place? I'm only there for two or three days, but I would LOVE to do this. Is there a short trip I could go on?

Thanks for the offer of company, but I'm going in a couple days, so we won't be there the same time. But from everything I read here, I think I might want to make a habit of visiting. It sounds like such a beautiful and accepting place.

I did really want to go to Hemingway's house, so thanks for the suggestion. I think I will try to leave early enough in the morning to catch the place when it opens.

Thanks so much guys! You've made me 100% more excited for my trip!

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,783 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Key West alone

You would probably like the Floridays which is a smaller, single hulled ship which moors at the Hyatt. Everyone is close together and it's easy to feel like you are in a group. IIRC this is $45.00.

But there are also snorkel / sunset sails which are fun. They go out in the afternoon for an hour's stop at the reef, then slowly sail back while the sun sets. I like the Caribbean Spirit which goes out of the Key West Bight, but the Fury or Sebago do just as good a job. These generally cost $35.00.

Pjk

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Key West alone

I have to agree about Turtle Kraals.. there were a ton of kids there for a Friday evening.. most likely to see the turtle races where if you are an average sized adult you can't see over the other average sized adults holding their children up so they can see! A Catch-22 kind of thing. :-)

Still.. IMHO, they had some great t-shirts.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Key West alone

PS.. I can totally see taking a solo vacation to KW. While after a couple of days I might be done. However, just thinking about taking my own time, keeping my own hours... Oh my word.. sounds like heaven to me. And too.. I did do alot on my own while I was there with my family over Christmas and always felt the island to be safe -- even while completely lost on one of my first days exploring (after which I kept a map handy). Night time I might stick a lot closer to Duval than not, but during the day I didn't feel there was anywhere I shouldn't be -- if you know what I mean.