We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Islamorada in Feb 2018

West Barnstable...
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Islamorada in Feb 2018

Can someone update us on the charter boat situation, the beach, the hotels? We have a week planned in Islamorada..has the aquarium reopened?

Anyone had any problems with rental cars from FLL, etc., that may have been damaged by floodwaters?

Help!

16 replies to this topic
Florida Keys...
Level Contributor
2,227 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Islamorada in Feb 2018

Hotels in Islamorada have started re-opening, although some were seriously damaged and may not be open by Feb (such as Postcard Inn). Best to check with whichever hotel you have booked with directly, or if you can't get hold of them let us know which place and someone here may know more about it's situation. Some hotels are fine and some have a lot of damage. If you have yet to book one my advice would be to book a place that is already back open now, then you can forget about it and don't have to worry about whether they will get back open in time. There are many hotels open and taking bookings.

Rental cars from FLL or MIA is not an issue, and as far as I know never was. I'm not aware of any flooding anywhere near the airport areas. If there were any rental cars damaged they'll be long gone and replaced already, let alone by February. The big rental companies have tens of thousands of cars they can move around to wherever they need them. Don't even concern yourself with that. You wouldn't even know there had been a hurricane arriving at the airport and driving down as far as north of the Keys.

I'm not sure which beach you mean, as Islamorada doesn't have much of a beach. Anne's Beach at the south end of Islamorada was hit hard and the boardwalk completely destroyed. I'd imagine they'll keep the beach closed until the boardwalk is replaced, which I'd think will take some time. They may let people use the beaches either end and just cordon off the area around the boardwalk. I'm not sure yet. In any event, don't bank on nice beaches here, hurricane or not !

By aquarium, do you mean Theatre of the sea ? If so I beleive they had a lot of damage. They plan to reopen October 15th for dolphin swims only, not general admission. My guess is that they'll be open again easily by Feb. You could check with them and check that's realistic. I'd imagine they will be keen to open as soon as they can with busy season approaching fast.

I'm not that knowledgeable about the current situation with charter boats. A number of larger offshore fishing boats were damaged/sunk and I know the marina at the Postcard Inn/Holiday Isle which housed many charter boats will be closed indefinitely. There's not much business for them currently with so few visitors here, so it's hard to tell whether they're not operational or just not busy.

Backcountry fishing charters are probably less affected, as they are generally small boats and will have been brought out for the hurricane, and so not damaged. Plus many backcountry guides are located bayside, which didn't get hit as badly.

Try Bud n Mary's Marina. I think it was open when I drove by. I'm not sure what the situation is with damage, but they could tell you which captains are back up and running and put you in touch. Also check with Whale Harbor Marina.

You still have 4 months to go, and a huge amount will get done in that time. A lot has already been done in less than a month. Don't be concerned about coming in Feb. I would just be sure to secure accommodation that you know is either already open or very soon will be and then just relax about your trip for a while and give things a chance to straighten out. By Dec or Jan there will have been a lot of progress and there will be a much better picture of what the situation is and you can then make any specific bookings for things like fishing trips. I'm not sure charter captains will be thinking too much about Feb at the moment.

By Feb all but the worst damaged of places will be back to normal.

Edited: 09 October 2017, 18:40
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Islamorada in Feb 2018

We are planning a mid Feb trip too and this reply was very helpful! Thank you!

3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Islamorada in Feb 2018

This was very helpful - just to add a couple of things....

The Deep sea boats are for the most part VERY available already - bud and Mary's is up and running. The only marina not running seems to be Post Card Inn. We are heading down in December and all our places are either completely open or opening around now. Cheeca Lodge and the Islander oceanside seem to have sustained the most damage as well as Postcard Inn. Cheeca will be open by January 4th so that will not affect you either....

Keep you plans - check with your hotel and expect to have a GREAT time!!

Blairsville, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Islamorada in Feb 2018

We highly recommend Capt James with the Catchallottafish and he's based out of Worldwide Sportsman on Islamorada. As a matter of fatc, I'm on here today looking for restaurants and hotel intel for the week of October 22 in which we plan to fish with him on two days. The Islamorada Fish Market on the same property will package and ship your fish via Fedex Overnight if you wish and they'll hold it in the freezer until your desired ship date. We fish with Capt James every May and we're making this special trip to spread some money around Islamorada to help these people out who rely on tourism. If you talk/book with him, tell him Andy with Southern Polyurethanes recommended you!

Austin, Texas
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Islamorada in Feb 2018

Is the chesapeake resort be open for business by march of 2018. I have a resevation and i want to know if i need to find another place. I cannot change my plan dates. Thanks for any info.

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
12,105 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Islamorada in Feb 2018

Have you contacted the resort directly? The website says they had serious damage and will be closed for several months, but nothing more specific. I think you will have to get in touch with them. No one on this forum will know their repair schedule.

Austin, Texas
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Islamorada in Feb 2018

I called the property 3-4 times this month but all i got is a recording that the message tape is full and not taking any more calls. I understand their situation but i would like to find out what the property management plans about the reservations that already been paid in advance . A formal announcement will be appreciated if the property will be close till what dates and what is the management plans about the reservations that is booked before the openning plans . Thanks .

Florida Keys...
Level Contributor
2,227 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Islamorada in Feb 2018

I know of a couple of other people with the same problem. It's tragic that they suffered substantial damage but, personally, I don't think there's any excuse for the lack of contact at this stage.

The lack of information and contact from them is, to me, business suicide. Not any update or hint of expected reopening date or any update at all on their Facebook page in 6 weeks. Nobody answering phones, and you can't leave a message. It's a crazy decision to treat their customers this way, and when they do reopen they'll wonder why people aren't coming back. To have would-be paying guests disputing charges with their bank to try to get refunds and book elsewhere is crazy, just because they can't get any information from them.

I would advise booking elsewhere. Your trip is not all that far away and I'm sure you could do with some certainty that you'll have somewhere to stay.

Austin, Texas
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Islamorada in Feb 2018

Thanks for your advice but hopefully the management will follow thru and do the right thing with their customer that is willing to wait and advice them that the property wont be open till its ready. Waiting for their respond.....

Florida Keys...
Level Contributor
2,227 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Islamorada in Feb 2018

I do hope it works out for you.

Please keep in mind that Feb is very busy and there will probably still be a large number of rooms unavailable at several other resorts that will still be closed. Unless demand is much lower this season, finding room availability at short notice could be very difficult.

Reply to: Islamorada in Feb 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Islamorada
Recent Conversations