We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fun placed to take rental boat

Lowell
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Fun placed to take rental boat

We are coming to town next week and have rented a boat, I heard there is a sandbar that is popular to go to? What other places would be fun to get to by boat. Staying at Anglers’s Reef. Thanks.

4 replies to this topic
Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
16,177 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fun placed to take rental boat

Its forecast to blow next week. Plan your boat days around the wind. Monday looks good - as of right now. The sandbar off Whale harbor is popular with out of towners vs a local crowd. Usually not a crowd you want to bring your Mom to. (just an expression if your Mom is OK with this type of crowd).

Florida Keys...
Level Contributor
2,177 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fun placed to take rental boat

I'd imagine the sandbar will be busy coming up to Easter and over that weekend - particularly if the wind stops blowing and we get some nice weather. If you're not sure where it is just find the Post Card Inn Resort in google maps and you'll see the sandbar alongside the channel and a couple of boats congrgated in ththe satellite view. It's just a short way South of Anglers Reef.

Another spot quite near there to the south is Indian Key. It's a state park and historic island you can visit by boat and explore. It's a very different vibe to a weekend day at the sandbar !

There's a few bars and restaurants you can visit by boat also. Hog Heaven used to be a nice one to go to close to the sandbar (must be almost neighbors to Anglers Reef), but I'm not sure how their little boat basin is after Irma. I know it took a beating.

On the bayside you can go to the O.V. which is quite easy to find once you come through Whale harbor channel from the Oceanside and turn to your right.

There's several other restaurants on the bayside, Marker 88 just to the north is a nice spot. You can also get to Islamorada Fish co and Lor-e-Lei further south.

I don't know how familiar you are with boating down here, but it's quite tricky due to all the shallows everywhere. I would check your rental boat has GPS. In my view that's essential if your going to be trying to find your way around Islamorada as you can be from 10ft of water to 6" in a heartbeat and hazardous or restricted areas or shoals often aren't well marked. On a flat calm day you can mostly see what's ahead, but add even a little chop and you just can't see what you're heading into.

Mentioned in this post
Hog Heaven Sports Bar & Grill
Hog Heaven Sports Bar...
1,064 Reviews
Islamorada, FL
Islamorada
Islamorada
Florida Keys, FL
Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Fun placed to take rental boat

Take it through the mangrove channel southwest of Robbies - look for Crocs. Or out to Indian or Lignumvitae Keys, but be careful as there are TONS of flats/no motor zones/no wake. Another alternative, bring scuba gear and head to Alligator lighthouse....

Upstate New York
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fun placed to take rental boat

Yes, be very careful. Some of the shallows are not marked, some might just have one small pipe sticking up as a marker. And the route you took a few hours ago at high tide might not be navigable at low tide. You don't want to have to pay for sea tow, or for a wrecked prop.

Reply to: Fun placed to take rental boat
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Islamorada