We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amara Cay or Pelican Cove

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Amara Cay or Pelican Cove

Husband and I coming down to the Keys in 3 weeks. This will be a first time visiting for 3 nights. Wondering what the differences are between Pelican Cove and Amara. We had our hearts set on Tranquility Bay but waited too long to book. We are looking for ocean or bay views and a quiet relaxing setting with a nice pool area and beach area. (I understand there KW is not a beach destination). Looking for a quieter resort with less people. Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

18 replies to this topic
Madison, WI
Level Contributor
7,915 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amara Cay or Pelican Cove

I'm heading to the Keys in 4 weeks and staying at Pelican Cove.....have stayed multiple times and love the place. Totally back up in action after Irma and better than ever. Nice pool, cabana bar, comp breakfast, lots of water activity non-motorized all free (kayaks). Great beach towels provided, nice beds, fantastic bathrooms. Ocean views and all rooms have balconies. Nice Italian restaurant a short walk away, and close to other great eating places. Ask for a room on the north end on either the second or third floor.

Edited: 25 March 2018, 21:44
Madison, WI
Level Contributor
7,915 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amara Cay or Pelican Cove

edit above...just a note that both properties have the same management team. I've stayed at Amara once and liked it, but there is just something special about PC. To be honest, you'll be happy with either choice. I guess I'd probably go with the best deal.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Amara Cay or Pelican Cove

Thanks Eric for the info. We will be coming from MN!!! Can you tell me which resort is smaller. We are hoping for a quieter resort or less folks.

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
7,915 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amara Cay or Pelican Cove

Pelican Cove actually has a smaller feel to it. Almost "boutique" like. I've visited many times and it has never been noisy or crazy with a bunch of kids running around. Mid-April eliminates a lot of family visits, too. You getting there on April 15 or so?

Deerfield Beach...
Level Contributor
802 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amara Cay or Pelican Cove

I've stayed at Pelican Cover and really enjoyed it. I have not stayed at Amara. PC was very quiet and nice, which was just what I wanted.

Newnan, Georgia
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amara Cay or Pelican Cove

Look also at Pines and Palms Resort. Great tropical feel. Newly redone pool and great poolside bar. Grounds are fabulous. Not a big fancy resort, Just perfect for us.

Mentioned in this post
Pines and Palms Resort
Pines and Palms Resort
661 Reviews
Islamorada, FL
Hatfield...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Amara Cay or Pelican Cove

Hi, I'm staying at Pelican Cove right now and saw your post about the Italian Restaurant a short walk away and wondering what the name of it is. I haven't seen any restaurants that close but maybe I'm not looking in the right place. Thanks

Tiffin, Ohio...
Level Contributor
528 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Amara Cay or Pelican Cove

I believe Amara Cay has an Italian Restaurant on site, or it did before Irma. Right beside Amara Cay is my favorite restaurant in Islamorada- Lazy Days!!!

Mentioned in this post
Amara Cay Resort
Amara Cay Resort
1,506 Reviews
Islamorada, FL
Islamorada
Islamorada
Florida Keys, FL
Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
16,177 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Amara Cay or Pelican Cove

Italian place no longer there. Now Reel Burger.

Besides that and Lazy Dayz there is also a small breakfast place at Bud n Mary's and Midway Cafe which is excellent for breakfast lunch - cafe style.

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
7,915 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Amara Cay or Pelican Cove

The Italian place near Pelican Cove is called Ciao Hound. It's actually very good. I had a Veal Marsala and was shocked it was so good. It's in the old Don Shula's location and is just a short walk south. Near Post Card Inn.

Mentioned in this post
Ciao Hound
Ciao Hound
247 Reviews
Islamorada, FL
Reply to: Amara Cay or Pelican Cove
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Islamorada