We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Future Travel to Islamorada

Kent Island...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Future Travel to Islamorada

We're looking to book a week long trip to Islamorada in November 2018. Some friends who recently visited Islamorada have made us a little skeptical when they describe the damage that lingers from Irma. Is the charm really lost? I would expect things to be pretty much back to normal in November, but looking for other opinions since we haven't seen for ourselves.

We also were thinking of doing a vacation rental home through AirBNB or VRBO instead of staying at a resort as we have done in the past. Any thoughts or recommendations either way?

8 replies to this topic
SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
12,402 posts
166 reviews
1. Re: Future Travel to Islamorada

I drove through Islamorada about a couple weeks ago and things looked pretty good. That area lost a lot of foliage, so it’s not as lush as it used to be and some of properties are more visible, but it still looks great and I wouldn’t hesitate to come. Especially by November after another rainy growing season.

Rental properties are tightly regulated and require a special license. There are many scams and illegal rentals. I would use a licensed realtor or call Monroe County Code Enforcement with the address of the home you are looking at to be sure it is not illegal.

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
10,393 posts
66 reviews
2. Re: Future Travel to Islamorada

I'm heading to Islamorada next month with no worries. As SDT described it's pretty much back to normal. I know that the Post Card Inn is still under repair, but Cheeca Lodge re-opens Friday and Moorings Village recently re-opened. The ocean side properties received the most damage from Irma. I would continue your November plans with no hesitation. I''l even send you a message when I get back with some personal info...you just have to ship me some crab cakes....kidding.:-)

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
16,563 posts
36 reviews
3. Re: Future Travel to Islamorada

Noooooo the charm is not lost. In any way.

Vacation rentals less than 28 days are not allowed in Islamorada without a special transient license. As mentioned, I would not rent one outside of a licensed real estate agency in the area. So many scams and more going on.

North Fort Myers...
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
17 reviews
4. Re: Future Travel to Islamorada

We're heading to Islamorada for 3 nights and Key Largo for 7 nights in May. We're not worried about it at all, and have invited friends for their first time Keys experience. Tropical foliage grows back quickly, and people who rely on tourism for a living make repairs just as fast as they can. Since Irma hit our area as well, we've seen (and cleaned up) hurricane debris, and know that it takes time before it's all carted away .

That being said, there's another hurricane season between now and November. Make sure you have trip insurance, or will get any deposit back if the property isn't available due to a hurricane. Our trip was originally planned for October of 2017. The places that we planned to stay were not open then and refunded our deposits. We were driving down so we didn't have airfare to worry about.

Kent Island...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Future Travel to Islamorada

Thanks for the reassuring responses! Now onto finding a place to stay.... :)

Fairfield...
Level Contributor
87 posts
239 reviews
6. Re: Future Travel to Islamorada

We just booked Amara Cay Resort for 5 nights in Nov. No deposit and free cancellation until Nov 4! Couldn't beat that :)

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
1 post
45 reviews
7. Re: Future Travel to Islamorada

Islamorada is in great shape! We were there in March this year, and although two of our favorite restaurants are still closed, there are plenty of things to do and places to eat. Highly recommend the rental community Angler's Reef. We've stayed in this gated community for 3 years and love it. Search for it on VRBO etc.

Kent Island...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Future Travel to Islamorada

Thank you! I have come across a bunch of Angler's Reef rentals and were wondering about them

Reply to: Future Travel to Islamorada
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Islamorada