We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Islamorada or Marathon for a last minute trip??

Columbia, MD
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Islamorada or Marathon for a last minute trip??

My wife and I are looking to take a last minute trip to the middle keys. I would normally do a ton of searching on here, and I have been trying to, but with it being last minute there seems to be a plethora of information which makes it hard to decide between the 2 places and where to stay.

We are both 30 and are looking to do some fishing, beaching, snorkeling, drinking, eating, and relaxing.

We will be there for a week maximum.

Most important criteria is being close to a beach.

Should we stay in Marathon or Islamorada?

Next, where should we stay in either (trying to keep it around $200/night)?

Any suggestions and information is MUCH appreciated.

Thanks!

Don

baltimore
Level Contributor
1 post
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Islamorada or Marathon for a last minute trip??

islamorada seems to have nice beaches and nature.the fishing is first rate and the snorkeling is great also.You can get an ocean front room at holidat isle for about 170.00,they have redone their ocean front rooms.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
17,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Islamorada or Marathon for a last minute trip??

Check out the Islander, Cheeca Lodge (not sure about the rates there), Coral Bay (gulf side) all of those have small beaches onsite. Islamorada does not have many public beaches. Marathon has Sombrero Beach and just on the other side of the 7Mile bridge is Bahia Honda Park which is a large beach. Check out the Continental Inn in Key Colony Beach.

I would have to see Holiday Isle's renovation before booking a room. That place needs an entire makeover. It would be nice if they did redo the place instead of waiting to make the millions they thought they were going to get by turning it into condo's and when that didn't happen they just let it get rundown.

Port Clinton, Ohio
Level Contributor
22 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Islamorada or Marathon for a last minute trip??

I have to agree with the above poster. I stayed there for a week in February in an oceanfront room and I can assure you that it wasn't renovated. It was old and worn but it was very clean. I've stayed at the Isle many times and over the last 3 years it has really gone downhill. I hope they do renovate because it was a great place in it's day.

4. Re: Islamorada or Marathon for a last minute trip??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Islamorada
Recent Conversations