We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why is KonTiki so inexpensive compared to else?

Which Islamorada hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
355 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Why is KonTiki so inexpensive compared to else?

Just wondering why Kon Tiki is so inexpensive compared to everything else in the Keys? It looks good enough to me from the pics ( I know pics can be very deceiving).. i have the Sands of Islamorada booked in 2 weeks and i just keep second guessing this decision... Can't really afford the pricier properties at this time. We just want to have fun while we are there.. Don't know why I keep questioning this decision.... Input?

Edited: 01 February 2012, 21:46
Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,681 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why is KonTiki so inexpensive compared to else?

Price at Kon Tiki depends on which rooms you are looking at. ( FWIW - I haven't looked at their prices in awhile). Each unit is individually owned and many are actually a full house or 1/2 duplex. (such as 23+24 and #1, all of which are really nice) It's a nice, older property. Quiet with nice waterfront area. Makes you feel like you have your own place. It's not full of hotel type amenities, which is why I like it. It's more like a small condo. I like Sands of Islamorada - but it's more of standard type hotel type rooms, where Kon Tiki is not (not knocking that, just explaining why the maybe big price difference) Or, you can go for just a little bedroom room like #24 and I don't recall that price ever being crazy.

3 & 4 are our favorite rooms and I highly recommend.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,681 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why is KonTiki so inexpensive compared to else?

duh - just realized you said "inexpensive", I first read as "expensive"

Again - maybe because it's more like staying in a condo vs amenities of a 24 hr hotel. But I do recommend - and I still highly recommend Sands. Both are very nice properties.

Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
355 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why is KonTiki so inexpensive compared to else?

Thank you Bluewater, for your reassurance. I had been reading reviews from some older posts and some were not too favorable. think I just got a little paranoid... I don't expect nor need 5 star, just expect clean and hopefully cute.. Was hoping there would be a few restaurants walkng distance but when I google earth....seems like Outback is the extent of this. How is cab service?

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,681 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why is KonTiki so inexpensive compared to else?

Actually, there are much better places then Outback closer. Uncles, Islamorada Fish Co, Morada Bay, Green Turtle, Spanish Gargens, Midway Cafe, Ma's Fish Camp, Zane Gray, Bobz Buns, Leaning tower of Pizza, Midway Cafe and kaiyo.

Do keep in mind - every room at Kon Tiki is furnished by it's owner. Some need a little more updating then others. But, the last time family stayed there - April 2010 - it was still very clean.

Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
355 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why is KonTiki so inexpensive compared to else?

The restaurants you mentioned,, close to Sands or to Kon Tiki ? Or or both places close to each other?

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,681 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why is KonTiki so inexpensive compared to else?

Most are closer to Kon Tiki, but not all. Go with your gut for what you think will work for you. Both are good places.

Edited: 02 February 2012, 01:59
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,747 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why is KonTiki so inexpensive compared to else?

We spent a night at Kon Tiki this past November during our road trip down the Keys.

Nice little place. Has an 'old Florida' feel.

Our room was fine. Nothing fancy, but clean and had everything we needed. The grounds were nice, pool looked inviting.

We walked to Lorelei for drinks and had dinner at, I think, Islamorada Fish Co.

8. Re: Why is KonTiki so inexpensive compared to else?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2013, 10:26
Get answers to your questions about Islamorada