We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BEST white-sanded swimming beach, closest to Islamorada??

Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
BEST white-sanded swimming beach, closest to Islamorada??

We'll be traveling to Islamorada and would like to find a gorgeous, serene, fun, wavy, white sanded beach that's swim-friendly to hang out at for a day. I've been researching like crazy but can't seem to find one that's both beautiful (no seaweed, has palms, white sand) AND fun (enough waves to feel like the ocean, but not too many to carry a 6 yr old out to sea!).

So far I'm finding that my best bet would be a good length drive to Key Biscayne...

Any suggestions??

Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BEST white-sanded swimming beach, closest to Islamorada??

I should add, we'd prefer the closest since we're driving to and from FL from WI... so my lil one is already going to have had enough of the car. I don't think she'll enjoy driving DURING the vacation too!

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,700 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BEST white-sanded swimming beach, closest to Islamorada??

The Keys don't have waves! We have a reef system that blocks them. Also the reason we don't have many beaches.

Anne's beach is the closest to Islamorada. (it is actually in Islamorada on Lower Matecumbe) It's ok. The problem - very shallow, but good for the kid to play around in. White sand - yup, palms - i think. It's also close to the highway so noise is an issue.

30 mins away is Sombrero Beach in Marathon- best beach in the Keys, IMO. White sand and palms here too. And just over the 7 Mile Bridge is Bahia Honda - beautiful white sand beach there too. And, it would be a shame to drive all the way from WI and not see the 7 mile bridge, do drive over it. It's beautiful.

Grass is only an issue at all of the beaches when the wind is blowing hard and in that direction - Ocean side gets grass with a strong East wind, Bayside gets grass with a strong West wind. calm seas and winds = no grass. So, it's not always there.

Google for images of each beach.

Level Contributor
3,465 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BEST white-sanded swimming beach, closest to Islamorada??

I would recommend trying both Sombrero Beach and Bahia Honda, as they are VERY different! We like Bahia Honda way better and so I think it is at least worth a try. At BH, you can walk on the old bridge, snorkel near shore, and look for iguanas hanging out on the rocks. It is a beautiful beach, but (as bluewater stated) . . . NO waves!

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,997 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BEST white-sanded swimming beach, closest to Islamorada??

You really should look at photos and read reviews so you'll know better what to expect. My husband and I (and our kids) love the Florida Keys, but have a number of friends who think it is a waste because it doesn't have waves and/or beautiful long white sandy beaches. Several were even upset with us for recommending the Keys' for a vacation. (I sent them plenty to read and look at about the Keys....they just didn't take the time to read. They were expecting a Caribbean style white sandy beach....and yes, they were disappointed).

These friends simply can't understand why we can't wait to return year after year...To each his own. Personally I'd rather be on a Keys' beach any day! :)

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
2,053 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BEST white-sanded swimming beach, closest to Islamorada??

We've been at all above mentioned places during our 2 mos stay.

Just drove by Anne's beach today and the tide was high and although it has a nice boardwalk with pavilions you may not have much of a sandy area.

Sombrero beach is the best area for kids too as there is a play area, lots of sand, palm trees and shallow enough to go in without being swept away.. many picnic pavilions , bathroom, definitely a better place to spend the day.

Bahia Honda is a state park so entry for 3 will be $9 once you enter the park stay to the right to get to the calm bay area.. if you want surf then head left . also pavilions ,towards the bay area ( to the right after entry) a research center and if you continue to the cabins area on your way out there is a large lagoon with crystal clear water and lots of fish ( no swimming or snorkeling allowed though)

You can spend a day there easily too.

6. Re: BEST white-sanded swimming beach, closest to Islamorada??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 02:41
Get answers to your questions about Islamorada