We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing Widow--what to do?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
37 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Fishing Widow--what to do?

My husband will be fishing 2 mornings so I'll be solo. If I get bored with my book, what is there to do in Islamorada or nearby towns? I don't dive so that's out---Thanks for your help!

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,634 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing Widow--what to do?

Get rip roaring drunk and throw up all over the room. ;-)

Or, take a drive to World Wide Sportsman, Lattitudes, or any of the other shops in town. Take a 30 minute drive (before you get rip roaring drunk) to Marathon and walk the old 7 mile bridge. Have a sticky bun at Bobs Bunz. They are SOOOOooo good. Go fishing with him.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,161 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishing Widow--what to do?

What BG said :)

and go spend the equivalent of the fishing charter at Blue and Miss Monroe! Nice lunch by yourself at Morada Bay's Bar or Spanish Gardens (Giant White Bean salad is awesome!)

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
14,872 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishing Widow--what to do?

There are a few little shops in Islamorada. Its only about 45 minutes to Marathon or Key Largo if you wanted to go to a few more. Key Largo has places like the Rain Barrel which used to have several artists located there. Marathon has some cute shops like Crazy Larrys and the Lazy Lizard. There is also a little store on the main road into Key Colony Beach which is where Sparky's is located. Great place to have lunch.

If you like historical the Pigeon Key Tour at Knights Key at the 7-mile bridge is good and can take as little as a couple of hours depending on how long you want to stay there. Also the tour to Indian Key is interesting, not sure where you book that one from (might be from Robbies where you feed the tarpon).

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
37 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fishing Widow--what to do?

WOW-- Thank you all... great tips! love the drinking idea...not so much the throwing up part though :)

Just printed out everything--the shops and lunch spots are a definite and I do like history so the tours sound awesome too. Maybe I should leave my book at home...Thanks so much, I really thought I would be bored but now I have lots to do!

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
14,872 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fishing Widow--what to do?

When are you visiting? If its not for a couple months you still have time to contact the Chamber of Commerce for Islamorada. They will send you an info package with ideas, locations of things to do and a couple coupons. If visiting sooner just stop in at the Chamber office to pick up some info. I always do this as the book they send tells you some of the history of the Keys.

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
2,053 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fishing Widow--what to do?

Go to Robbie's Marina.. lots to do there.. many unusual shops on the way.. like the one with the huge lobster in the parking lot,

The Rain Barrel artisan village is a great spot to browse and shop.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
37 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fishing Widow--what to do?

Will do... Not going till march... Thanks😀

Islamorada, Florida
Level Contributor
111 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fishing Widow--what to do?

The Rain Barrel is in Islamorada. No need to leave our quaint little town.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
14,872 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fishing Widow--what to do?

Love the Rain Barrell and the giant lobster! Always like to visit there to look at the local art work. Havent been down in a long time. I'm sure there have been many changes in shops, etc. since we were last there.

10. Re: Fishing Widow--what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2014, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Islamorada
Recent Conversations